Author Topic: Laptops keep knocking each other off the internet  (Read 6110 times)

ronl

• Calf
Laptops keep knocking each other off the internet
« on: December 24, 2008, 07:18:16 PM »

Unit:  WHR-HP-G54

Laptops:  Dell 1500, one running XP2, one running Vista Home Premium

Separately, each laptop has no problem accessing the internet through the wireless router.  However, when the second one tries to wireless access the internet, the first one sometimes is kicked off and sometimes the second cannot access.  Both cannot operate at the same time. 

However, I have a third Dell 1500 running Vista Home Premium that can wireless access the internet anytime, including when either of the other two laptops are connected.

Any thoughts on resolving this?

Aveyer

• Big Bull
Re: Laptops keep knocking each other off the internet
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 08:48:03 PM »
   Assuming your routers DHCP server is enabled, Check the routers DHCP settings, make sure there's plenty DHCP range (eg. 192.168.11.100 to 192.168.11.150, so up to 50 clients can acquire an IP and connect although the router might not be able to handle 50 users) and also make sure your computers get an IP via DHCP (right click on Wireless Connection and go to properties, then go to the properties of TCP/IP)
Message Edited by Aveyer on 12-25-2008 02:52 AM

Peachhaze

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 04:35:15 PM »
   I have the same problem w/ my Buffalo router and two laptops (one's XP SP3 and the other is Vista). I still have not found an answer. I wondered if I need to flash it for DDRT or use Tomato for the DHCP functions. It's very frustrating.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 10:14:59 AM »
Make sure the router is not in bridge mode.  The switch has to be in Auto mode.

ScottP

• Tatanka
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 12:32:48 PM »

This problem is also commonly cause by the cable or DSL modem bing plugged into one of the router's numbered LAN ports, as opposed to the WAN port like it's supposed to be.  When this is done, the modem will supply an IP address to the first computer it sees, but will not have a second IP address for another device to use until the first computer is taken off the network.

For the router to function properly, Bridge Mode must be OFF, and the modem MUST be plugged into the WAN port on the router. 

linny40

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 03:34:58 PM »

hello I have a similar problem. for some reason latley one of my pcs cant connect ot the net - it says limited or no connectivity which also means we can share files etc printer etc. woudl it be that something is knocking it out ?

I was told to check the DHCP and click release on the air station site, but all it did was stopped the interent on all the pcs and after 1/2 hr i decided to refresh.

My buffalo is the Airstation turbo G model no: WHR G54S and is about a year maybe 2 yrs old - its not listed anymore on the products list.

I never had any trouble until recently. All my other wireless connections dotn seem to be affected. Can any one give me a reason why. Bearing in mind im not a techy person

thanks

Message Edited by linny40 on 01-06-2009 09:43 PM
Message Edited by linny40 on 01-06-2009 09:45 PM

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 09:44:14 PM »

Make sure you've done what I said in my post and what Scott said in his post.

Local Area Connection for cabled connection

Wireless Network Connection for wireless connection.

tanjl

• El Toro
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 09:51:11 PM »

Have you tried changing the wireless channel to a static one instead of using AUTO?

Its in the web-console of the router which can be accessed by the router's IP.