Author Topic: mysteriously diminishing signal power  (Read 6535 times)

thetrystero

• Calf
mysteriously diminishing signal power
« on: February 27, 2009, 05:39:23 PM »
   I have a whr-hp-g54 router that's been working great for me for the past year. My router is downstairs and I use it with my iBook upstairs. I've been getting uninterrupted access with full-bars Airport for the past year and then the other day, I noticed that the power would fluctuate between 3 bars and none at all (i. e. a completely dropped signal). I've not changed any settings or reset the router at all. Has anyone else encountered this on this router and have a fix for it? I definitely do not want to install dd-wrt or other such firmware on it since this looks like a manufacturer's defect that I would want to bring it back to Buffalo.

slpip

• Tatanka
Re: mysteriously diminishing signal power
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 04:49:02 PM »
   First thing to check is the power supply output voltage and current.  A depleted power supply would cause the router not operating right.  If the power supply is fine, I would refresh the router with the same firmware.  Otherwise, reset the router back to the default with the reset button.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 02:53:01 PM »
   have you tried to change the channeling in the interface?

choqokat

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 11:24:01 AM »

please help.  i've been using my WHR-G54S since 10/08 with no problems (desktop, 2 laptops, game system) until this past weekend.  my signal cuts in and out constantly but no one else in the area has this problem.  i'm on someone else's signal at this time.  i could understand not getting through on line, but why would the signal from the router be a problem?  i've reset a squillion times and recently changed my password, which makes me suspect my isp is intently involved.   would my isp be able to do this?  could the router have a virus?

tia - no one is answering the phone for the past three days...

UPDATE: i chatted with my isp customer support and they found "internet congestion error".  cleared in less than 25min...just sayin'.

Message Edited by choqokat on 03-03-2009 12:42 PM

slpip

• Tatanka
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 04:51:24 PM »
   Press and hold the reset button to reset the router back to factory default.

thetrystero

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 09:23:39 PM »
   i changed the channel randomly to channel 6, but it did not get much better immediately. the next day, everything was back to normal -- full bars on my laptop. so i can't say what went wrong for sure.

slpip

• Tatanka
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 05:07:48 PM »
   You need to reboot the router after certain days to refresh the router.

slpip

• Tatanka
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 05:09:21 PM »
   I use Tomato firmware for my WHR-G54 and WHR-HP-G54.  It works so good on both routers.  Otherwise, stick with the v1.40 firmware.

choqokat

• Calf
mysteriously diminishing signal power - mac
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 11:40:22 AM »

howdy, all.

i am still having problems with the WHR-G54S air station's wireless signal.  i have no problems with connected directly, and on some days the wireless signal is 100% before i pick up the mouse.  so what gives?  why does this wireless air station pop in and out of my imac's viewing range...even when i set it right next to my imac?  my son's gateway laptop never-ever-never has a problem, so i'm really p-o'ed already.

thanks in advance.

Aveyer

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 02:52:09 PM »

Since the problem seems to happen only on the iMac I'd look there, could be something wrong with the wireless card, ask Apple.

Memoryman

• El Toro
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 05:25:17 PM »

or the antenna connection in the Mac might be loose.