Author Topic: Unable to view NAS storage devices on Windows 7 Network  (Read 1334 times)

PGC

• Calf
Unable to view NAS storage devices on Windows 7 Network
« on: April 15, 2012, 04:44:08 PM »

Hello, I have (2) models of NAS on my network, TS-X2.0TL/R5 & TS-6VHLA10.  The TS-6V was added recently.  I am running windows 7 on my connected computers.  Previously when I was running XP Professional, the NAS storage device was showing up when you opened Network.  Now in Windows 7 I do not see the (2) NAS devices show up, all my other computers show up easily enough

I have created shortcut links on my desktop tot he folders being used on each NAS device and this works no problem.  Also I have NASNavigator2 installed and both NAS devices show up with no problem here

When I am in an email for instance, and attach a file from my NAS devices, I click on Network and the 2 NAS units do not show up, I refresh the Network and still no luck.  When I click on my desktop and navigate to my shortcut links to the NAS folders, I acan then access the desired file and attach.  This added step is quite annoying and as previously stated, when I was running XP Pro, the NAS  device always showed up in Windows Network.

One final note is when I do attach a file via my desktop and view my Network, the NAS drive shows up in the Netowrk, but it never remains, alomost like the NAS devices go to sleep and disappear from the attached netowrk list.

Has anybody else had this type of problem?  

Skip

• Calf
Re: Unable to view NAS storage devices on Windows 7 Network
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 09:04:27 PM »

I have experienced something similar to this with several products, most of which are not made by buffalo.  I have 5 devices that are regularly on my network.  1 XP machine that always shows everything on the network correctly.  The 2 Windows 7 machines routinely have this problem.  I can only conclude that this is not an issue with your buffalo nas but rather a bug in Windows 7. 

Not that it takes the annoying factor out, but you can type the UNC path (\\MachineName) and everything will show up.  That really isn't much differenct than using the shortcuts though.