Author Topic: TS_RVHL replace failed hard drive in RAID5 array  (Read 1839 times)

jeffgagen

• Calf
TS_RVHL replace failed hard drive in RAID5 array
« on: July 17, 2013, 08:39:54 PM »
I have a TS-RVHL with 4 drives in a RAID5 array. Disk 2 failed. I got replacement disk. Powered down unit. Pulled out disk 2 and replaced with new drive. Instructions told me that LCD panel would say found new disk - then hold down function key for 3 seconds to start rebuild of array.

What happened was I got message that disk2 would not mount, never saw message about new disk found. In retrospect should have just pushed function button for three seconds and prayed.

Buffalo Tech told I needed to format disk. So I did. Now have three disks in a degraded array and a stand alone disk

How do I make that disk become part of the array ?

Firmware is 1.15

Thanks

Eastmarch

• 1500 Lb Water Buffalo
  • Administrator
Re: TS_RVHL replace failed hard drive in RAID5 array
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 01:07:05 PM »
OK, first try pulling the drive out hot. I've simulated plenty of errors on these before and that will let it know that something is wrong with Drive 3.

Once it starts complaining, silence the alarm and then plug it back in, also hot. The LCD sometimes takes what feels like a very long time, (watched pot and all that) to give you the 'press function to rebuild' message. You'll know it is correct when the light goes from solid red to more orange, and flashes. If it does'nt pick it up within 60 seconds, pull it out and reseat it.

At that point you can do the function button OR go into the web ui and it should look like the attached picture.

If you hit 'rebuild array' it will give you a really scary message, but it only means that it is going to wipe the disk you put in, not the whole array!

[attachment deleted by admin]
**A single copy of data, even on a RAID array, is NOT a backup! Hard drive failure is not a question of IF, but WHEN! Don't take my word for it, take Google's!**