Author Topic: HS-DHTGL/R5 2.14 - Failure to Create RAID 5 Array on previously working box  (Read 1437 times)

terbos

• Calf

I have an old HS-DHTGL box that originally came with four 250GB drives in a RAID 5 configuration.  One of the drives failed a few years ago and I replaced it with a 500GB.  The array rebuilt fine and has continued working fine since then.

I plan to give the box to my dad for xmas so I wanted to wipe the array and start fresh.  My plan was to simply delete and recreate the RAID 5 array.  I went into the web controls and deleted the array without any problem.  But when I try to recreate the array, I get an E13 failure seconds after the build starts.

Things I've tried:

- Format and Check individual disks - They all check out ok.

- Create a RAID 5 array - E13 failure.

- Create a RAID 10 array - E13 failure.

- Create a RAID 1 array - Fails when pairing a 250&500, works when pairing two 250s.

Questions:

- Should I be able to create a new array with a mis-matched disk?  Is this the only thing that's blocking me?

- Is there a way to force the box to believe the 500GB drive is really just 250GB?

Thanks,

Terry

terbos

• Calf

RESOLVED --

I did manage to locate a set of 4 matched size disks (mixed vendors and versions).  The critical thing appears to be the size.  Once I had all four matching disks in place, the box was happy to create a RAID5 array and is now working on the full array check.

Terry