Author Topic: Extremely slow transfer rates between LS-XL and MacBook Pro  (Read 6385 times)

kendclark

• Calf

I have the LS-XL059 NAS station.

I would like to backup my iPhoto library, which at this point is huge (150G).  I am pretty much unable to back this up to the LS-XL, because the file transfer rate is so slow.

First off -- I have been unable to get Time Machine to work with the LS-XL.  It takes 2-3 days to do the first backup, which is excruciating enough.  But then after a few days of daily backups the backup gets corrupted and time machine won't work with it any more.  So I have given up on that.

I just want to do a manual backup.

So I tried to drag and drop the iPhoto library onto a directory the LS-XL.  I mounted this using the NASNavigator2 application btw.

It started off like normal.  But the speed is so slow, it was predicting 8 days to complete the backup.  I let it run for about 3 hours, and in that time it completed 1G of 150.  So I stopped it.  It hung in the "stopping" state for a few more hours until I force quit Finder.

I then decided to delete the files that did make it across, thinking I would try again.  It took 1/2 hr just to figure out how many files it needed to delete.  Thankfully it only took another 1/2 hr to actually delete them.  Note before I did this I restarted both the LS-XL and the Macbook.  I also did a check disk on the LS-XL.

I have actually successfully done this manual file copy once.  A similar thing happened last time, where it showed several days to do the copy.  I stopped it then and restarted and it was a bit faster.  The actual copy took something like 28 hrs.  Still that seems ridiculously long.

I am wired in to the router.  I have the latest OS-X version.

Why is it so slow?

z_c00l

• Calf
Re: Extremely slow transfer rates between LS-XL and MacBook Pro
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 11:02:55 AM »

after using buffalo nas for over a year now, i finally come to this conclusion.

1. They are extremely slow speed especially when transferring file or watching HD movies

2. They don't respond to forum and also technical issues when customers like us are having problem.

I bet they won't even response to this post too.

However, they do come in cheap. i guess u get what you paid for.

BTW, i owned a LS-XL too and it really fed up with the transfer speed. thinking of changing to synology now.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 01:34:50 PM »
At z_c00l, like all your other posts you give no specs at all, firstly, the LS-XL is the base entry level NAS so you are never going to get blazing fast speeds.
Secondly, the reason no one responded to your posts is probably from lack of info, what kind of connection are you using? Wired or wireless?! 100 Mb or gigabit? Wireless G or wireless N?!

If you post bitching and complaining posts with NO details or sustance then what kind of response are you looking for?!
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

ratty2013

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 01:35:46 PM »

z_c00l wrote:

after using buffalo nas for over a year now, i finally come to this conclusion.

1. They are extremely slow speed especially when transferring file or watching HD movies

2. They don't respond to forum and also technical issues when customers like us are having problem.

I bet they won't even response to this post too.

However, they do come in cheap. i guess u get what you paid for.

BTW, i owned a LS-XL too and it really fed up with the transfer speed. thinking of changing to synology now.

I have no problem watching HD movies from by buffalo nas and have very high transfer rates. Are you sure you've got your network settings correct?

First off don't use jumbo frames, second use a static IP address for your buffalo nas and last of all make sure you are using a gigabit network.