Author Topic: TS-QVHL/R6 Series Help  (Read 1051 times)

Midwestrcr116

• Calf
TS-QVHL/R6 Series Help
« on: December 28, 2021, 11:14:56 AM »
Hello,

I recently obtained a TS-QVHL/R6 Series from a family member that was no longer using it. I have wiped the machine back to factory settings and updated the firmware. I was wanting to use it as a network storage for my Plex Media Server. However I have run into a lot of issues.
1. Mapping the drive: I read a lot that most older Buffalo stations are set to SMB1 and that Windows 10 natively has that disabled. I first attempted to use ACP Commander and WinSCP to enable SSH and SMB2. Which did not work. Then I tried to enable SMB1 manually. Which did allow me to map the drive.
But then that led to problem 2.
2. Lose of connection during file transfer: So I started small with my smallest movie at about 2gbs. I knew it would take some time but thought nothing of it. After about 5 minutes my transfer rate drops to zero and then a few minutes later and error to reconnect to drive pops up. If I hit continue it asks if I then want to replace existing file. I looked and the system shows they are the same size. So I thought I was good. But upon checking I only have the first few minutes of the movie.

For additional info I have a ethernet running directly to my router about 3 feet away, my internet speeds are over 500mbs

All in all my questions are this:
1. Is the TeraStation even capable of handling transfers of things like movies?
2. If so, does this version of my have the option of SMB1?
3. If not, how do I prevent the disconnect midway in the transfer?

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
Re: TS-QVHL/R6 Series Help
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2021, 05:05:51 AM »
My first instinct would be to check the drives for bad sectors/etc. I’d try a different ethernet cable on the Terastation too. As described your issue sounds more like a physical one than software. I could be wrong, I have not used SMB1 with windows 10 but no one else has reported that type of trouble as far as I know.

Another option is to replace the stock firmware with Debian which would allow you to use modern samba with SMB3.

Midwestrcr116

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 09:49:07 AM »
So I did the above now I can get into the Admin system, but now it gives an array mount error and wont allow me to rebuild. Is my array just shot?

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 06:27:37 PM »
Your story is consistent with enough drive(s) failing for the array to be unable to start.

If you connect via the command line you might be able to get the status of the array using mdadm. If the drives failed the device would usually turn the LED next to that bay red as well.

Midwestrcr116

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 10:05:49 PM »
So for a bit all the drives were green but the array wouldn't load but now with most restarts bay 3 doesn't mount I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling many times.

So bay 2-4 were the original raid bay 1 was the one I was adding in when the power went out. So if I am thinking correctly since 1 was not fully added before the power outage if there is an issue with 3 should it still be recoverable from 2 and 4 since they were in the original raid? But I am newer to this and could be wrong.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2022, 11:13:02 PM »
It depends on the RAID mode. RAID5 can only handle 1 drive failure, if a second drive fails before the new drive finishes syncing the array can’t recover.