Author Topic: Linkstation live 2.11 features  (Read 3529 times)

richardlister

• Calf
Linkstation live 2.11 features
« on: August 07, 2009, 07:23:55 PM »

can anyone point me to the new features/fixes of 2.11 to see if it is worth it. Can you write to the device from off site over the web like you can read from it via buffalonas site.

Thanks

Richard

rinthos

• Buffalo
Re: Linkstation live 2.11 features
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 08:25:29 PM »

I assume you are comparing to 2.10?

If so, I believe 2.11 fixed web access uploading and Playstation 3 media server compatibility problems.

2.10 was the introduction of Web Access to the Linkstation Live if my memory is still working.. :)

richardlister

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 05:06:29 AM »

When you say "uploading" do you mean the ability to write from "anywhere" to the buffalo in your house if set up correctly?

If so has anyone got it working ok?

regards,

Richard

rinthos

• Buffalo
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 09:33:25 AM »

By uploading, I think you're understanding it correctly...

It's the functionality described here:

http://www.buffalotech.com/technology/buffalo-advantage/web-access/

The section title: "Upload Files to your NAS from Anywhere".

But to clarify, this does NOT allow you to map drives etc, it's solely uploading from the Web GUI to the designated share/location on the Linkstation (And it's file-bsed NOT folder, so you must pick files one at a time).

---

Soylent

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 02:27:02 AM »
   I have firmware 1.07 on the LS-CHL and the web upload feature is already available
Message Edited by Soylent on 08-09-2009 02:27 AM

richardlister

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 04:54:32 AM »

Mine's the DHGL though.

Not sure if I dare do this. I'd hate to lose my shares and all the setup stuff.

Just no sure if it is worth it or not.

Have many of you done it?

regards,

Richard

rinthos

• Buffalo
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 07:45:48 AM »

Yeah the CHL series had these features early on.  The original Linkstation Live (DHGL) as the original poster has didn't get web access until the 2.x firmware, and it was an early release.  Functionality got added in 2.11 for them.

@richardlister:

Not sure what you're asking? I'm assuming you had updated to 2.10 prior?  Going to 2.11 is the same process as upgrading to 2.10.  Did you have a bad experience with your previous upgrade?

---

richardlister

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 08:56:11 AM »

yes. Lost shares and all setup stuff. Should that happen going to 2.11?

Have others had probs?

R

rinthos

• Buffalo
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 01:22:42 PM »

Well searching through the forums i've found that ocassionally people with various products performing upgrades encounter some sort of problem, but this is a small percentage in the grand scheme of things.

I've got a handful of Terastations and Linkstations, and have -never- had an upgrade problem of any sort....although in most cases i did backup the data first as a precaution.

So backup your data and away you go.  The firmware update is 'not supposed' to remove any of your data.

Keep in mind if you don't have a reason to update (in this case, if you're not using a PS3, or not wanting Web Access upload) then I'd say don't upgrade, but if you require either of those, sounds like you don't have much of a choice.    Backup and go, making sure you follow appropriate procedures.  Also make sure you validate the integrity of your backups so you know you have them as a fallback.

richardlister

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 06:26:46 PM »

thanks, that's yhe conclusion I have come to also.

One final question - when you say you don't lose data - I'm ok wirh that but what about my shares and settings - had to do them all again last time I upgraded?

thanks,

R

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 07:20:28 AM »
When you upgrade the Firmware you will lose the configuration settings.  Ive never seen it where you upgrade and lose data unless you rebuild the partition table when performing a force firmware.