Author Topic: Can't get Media Server working on Linkstation Quad  (Read 6202 times)

kanis54321

• Calf
Can't get Media Server working on Linkstation Quad
« on: February 01, 2009, 11:03:08 PM »

Hi, 

Not sure if I'm missing something but I can't seem to get the Media Server running. 

I have a Linkstation Quad 4Tb hard wired to a Belkin N+ wireless router (F5D8235au4)

I have a Playstation 3 and a Macbook Pro both wirelessly connecting to this same router.  

The IP's are assigned via DHCP and are as follows:

Belkin N+ wireless router:  192.168.2.1

Linkstation:  192.168.2.3

PS3: 192.168.2.4

Mac:  192.168.2.5 

The Media Server is turned on, on the Linkstation. But the webadmin page doesn't come up with a list of clients. 

The PS3 doesn't find the media server when it's told to search. 

And the Mac doesn't come up with anything in iTunes to indicate that it can see the media server.

Any help would be appreciated.

hoisingp

• Calf
Re: Can't get Media Server working on Linkstation Quad
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 12:52:27 AM »
   Having the same problem as you except with an Xbox 360 and the same setup.

kanis54321

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 06:07:19 AM »

OK so I read through the firmware release notes for version 1.04 and noticed:

[Firmware Release Note]*Ver1.04 [2008.12.22] 

- Solve DLNA sever compatible problem with Sony's PS3. 

So I downloaded it from the australian site (i'm in australia) and tried to install but got an error message saying acp_state_failure. I looked through the troubleshooting stuff and came up with the following article. 

+++++++++ 

KB#000133 - How to perform a firmware force for Buffalo NAS devices

REGION: All

ISSUE: How to perform a firmware force for Buffalo NAS devices

CAUSE: Firmware upgrade

PLATFORMS: TeraStation NAS / LinkStation NAS

SOLUTION:

For Terastation Pro/Pro II/Live or LinkStation Pro/Live:

1. To force the firmware update to the unit, users will need to enable Debug support on the Updater.exe. 

2. To do this open the lsupdater.ini or nasupdater.ini file from the firmware. Whether you have nasupdater.ini or lsupdater.ini will depend on the firmware version.

3. Open the .ini file and add the following two lines to the of the text file: 

[SpecialFlags]

Debug=1

1. Save the .ini file and run the Updater.exe.

2. Click on the top left corner of the Updater window (on the small picture) and select "Debug (D)". This will bring up the Debug options.

3. Select either "Ignore Current Version", or "Force Update" and click OK. This will have the program force the update even if it detects the same version was already installed.

For all other models:

1. Create a shortcut to the Buffalo Updater (There will only be one .exe file).

2. Right-click on the shortcut and goto properties.

3. Add a space and /force to the very end of the target. 

EX: "C:BuffaloFirmwareTeraStation112-104HD-HTGL FWUpdate.exe" /force 

4.   Then run the shortcut to flash the firmware. 

+++++++++++ 

Although I tried this too and it still gave me the same error.

Now I've looked at the world buffalo site and I see 2 firmware upgrades. One is the windows version which is 1.04 and one is the mac version which is 1.02.  

So here are my questions 

What is the difference, and why is the mac version lower? 

Will this fix the media server? 

And how do I get around this acp_state_failure issue?

Thanks in advance.  

Aurien

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 03:51:06 PM »

Not sure if this is what's causing your guys problem, but I found an interesting bug. I'm running the the 1.05 firmware. I created one top level folder to hold my music and video I want to stream. If I setup the  media server to use that folder, then I have all kinds of problems. It takes forever for my XBox 360 to detect the media server and even once is has it doesn't guarantee that I'll be able to access the media. Now if I create a sub folder and put everything in there. With the same exact folder structure as what was in the top level it works fine. XBox 360 detects it instantly and media is accessed quickly.

So basically if you use a top level folder for your media server it won't work. Use a sub folder and it works fine.