Author Topic: LinkStation Quad Stalling Issue  (Read 3488 times)

JasonCollins

• Calf
LinkStation Quad Stalling Issue
« on: June 21, 2009, 01:03:41 PM »
   I have a LinkStation Quad 4T.  I have been noticing that it seems to freeze for 30-60 seconds every couple of minutes.  This happens when accessing files, when writing files, and when accessing the admin web pages.  I upgraded the firmware from 1.04 to 1.10 hoping that would help, but it hasn't.  Is this normal?  It seems un-usable for anything but backup in this state!

JoshC

• Big Bull
Re: LinkStation Quad Stalling Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 03:40:51 PM »
Thats what the device is for, for backup.  Never should a device like this be your primary backup.

rinthos

• Buffalo
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 09:15:43 PM »

I would differ slightly from the 'meant for backup' for an LS-quad device...

After all, DLNA media servers aren't "backup" functions, nor are web services...

From the webpage: "The LinkStation Quad is best suited for home and SOHO users who want a reliable RAID 5 NAS, as well as the ability to stream multimedia content to their entertainment devices.".

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/network-storage/linkstation/linkstation-quad/

I would agree, that a NAS device is -not- a definitive backup solution, and indeed may itself need to be backed up, but to say it's not fit for purpose is sure not what this model is marketed at.

Also, backup or primary storage, delayed writes can result in data corruption, so this issue may be rather valid...

JasonCollins

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 09:27:27 AM »
   OK, let me rephrase. This thing is basically usable for NOTHING practical. The stalling issue I have is JUST WRONG! There is no reason for a NAS to pause for 1 minute every couple of minutes. This thing was advertised as good for backup, a media server, and a file server. It isn't suitable for any of that in its current state. I'm looking for someone who has advice on how to fix what is just next to a brick. The other versions of the LinkStation do not behave this way and other configurations (non-RAID5) do not behave this way apparently. My LinkStation is not supposed to behave this way. How can I fix it? -Jason

JasonCollins

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 01:46:07 PM »
   For those following the Quad Stalling Issue, check out what Buffalo says the fix is... Only use it for backup (no media server, no bittorrent, no web file access, no file serving) and it shouldn't be the primary backup!  I think I'll copy this response and post it on the boxes at Fry's just so everyone who is looking for NAS knows that they shouldn't expect any of the functionality advertised on the box.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 08:37:48 AM »

Allow me to elaborate on JoshC's previous post.  This device can be used for a backup but practically speaking it should not be your only backup.  This is what we commonly refer to as a single point of failure.  If you were to dump all your data on to this device that would be the equivalent of setting up another computer on the network and dumping your data there until the inevitable happens (i.e. crashes or complete failure).  You should never have one backup as the good practice is to have multiple backups (i.e. backup to USB drives, DVDs, etc.) to prevent loss of your data as for the issue you were having did you try adjusting the ethernet frame size in the Network settings?

E: We do our best to make sure everone gets a response and generally it takes time.

Message Edited by Dustrega on 07-04-2009 08:40 AM

JasonCollins

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 01:50:42 PM »

OK, fair enough.  Although in my case, it is a home system and I have a single copy on my hard drive and now I'm using it for backup...two backups is overkill for me.

So, what about the other uses?  Is it really not supposed to be used for all the other things advertised on the box?

I really appreciate that you answered this by the way.  I've been feeling like no one was working on the issue and that I'm just getting that I shouldn't be using it for normal stuff was the answer.  Thanks for any help you can give.  My wife is pretty annoyed I spent as much money as I did and I want to make this work! :)

IrishGuy

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 11:37:27 AM »

BEWARE THE LINKSTATION QUAD! 

Message in three places on forums. No soapboxing on forums.

Message Edited by drmemory on 09-16-2009 05:08 PM

majic

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2010, 12:54:31 AM »

I'm using the Linkstation Quad 4x1TB with factory settings and FW v1.11

Here's a screenshot of the stall, I just got this unit, and would keep it if it weren't for this stall.

Notice the bursts of activity, and then equal timespans of 0 kb/s transfer rates. I have to use Beyond Compare's folder sync mode to reliably copy through these stalls. Both linux and windows will sometimes copy through a stall, but many times the stall will make the copy operation time out and report failure, which makes the device not worth having, as I'm copying 1000's of files and can't manually inspect those to find the failed copies.

Can we get some official information on the forum that might let us know if Buffalo admits this is an issue and what they are doing about it? Can we expect a detailed work around or firmware fix? This happenens on almost every transfer in or out of the linkstation.

The Local Area Connection below is the transfer to the linkstation. the flat lines at 0% are the stalls.

Buffalo Quad Stall Screenshot

majic

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 11:54:02 AM »

No response :(