Author Topic: Backing up Linkstation Pro to DriveStation  (Read 3074 times)

lehua

• Calf
Backing up Linkstation Pro to DriveStation
« on: June 17, 2009, 10:12:47 PM »

I have a LinkStation Pro LS-XHL set up as a networked NAS with a usb Drivestation attached to it for backup.  I couldn't find a way to tell the included Mimeo AutoBackup to backup the NAS to the DriveStation.  On Mimeo website they say you have to upgrade to Professional to do network backups ($79.99).  Right now I'm using the LinkStation HD backup, but would like to include more files (outlook, etc) off c: drive as well as the files on the NAS.  Any suggestions for other programs or methods?

kevin

• El Toro
Re: Backing up Linkstation Pro to DriveStation
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 01:01:45 AM »

Just curious, what is the model number for the DriveStation? And what operating system do you have?

(you do not need to answer those if the below statement helps enough)

If the DS is formatted to FAT32, you can plug it into the LS and run a backup to it using the LS backup (this would be much faster anyway, rather then over the network), on the other hand it would not backup your computer so you would have to have another job on your comp and switch the drive back and forth!

**The version of Memeo that comes with the unit is capable of backing up to it (which is why they are packaged together). You could try using Windows Backup if you wish or get another third party utility, but Memeo should work!

lehua

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 07:14:55 AM »

the model number is HD-CE1.0TU2.  The operating system is XP. Everything seems to be working fine with the NAS setup - I moved all my documents to it and can access them from laptop and desktop through the network.  The drivestation is connected to the Linkstation by USB, and the Linkstation is connected to the Network, so the DriveStation shows up as L:usb1 on Linkstation and the Linkstation shows up as Z:Linkstation.  Both show up as described as drives on both the network and My computer.  I reformatted it to XFS through the NAS Navigator and backed up the NAS to it with the LS backup.  However, the Drive Navigator will not install and Turbousb, ecomanager, etc. installed on the desktop but will not recognize the drivestation.

With all the problems with this drive on this forum I'm worried about it's use as a backup to the NAS.   

1.  Should the drive navigator be running with this setup?  If so, why won't it install?

2.  Though they installed to my computer, why won't ecomanager or turbousb recognize the drivestation?

3.  If memeo is suppose to work, who won't it show the NAS (Z: ) as an option for backup source?

Lastly, Memeo will select the drivestation on the network as a destination for backup but will not show the NAS as a source, only scans the C drive while the NAS is Z:. On the Memeo website forum they say that to backup sources other than your C: drive you have to buy their professional level for 79.99.  If so, are they the best choice?  And why wouldn't software for a NAS for networking include a version for network backup?

My goal is to store and access all my documents, music, photos, etc. on the NAS through the network so they can be shared to all computers in the house and have the drivestation as a backup to that NAS, allowing me to delete all these files from my desktop which was becoming full (and which was always dropping the networking with my laptop).  I am not comfortable deleting the files nor do I trust the DriveStation as a competent backup at this time.  What do you think?
Message Edited by lehua on 06-18-2009 07:17 AM

lehua

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 07:38:15 AM »
   Okay, another step accomplished. Was able to configure a backup with Memeo by targeting the Z: as My Documents on C:.  This version of Memeo will NOT let you source a network drive, but with the My Documents file targeted it shows up as a smartpick so can be selected. Any other shares or files on Z: drive will not be able to be backed up with this version of Memeo as it will not recognize or scan the Networked Drives for sources.  Not the right memeo version to be included with a NAS for networking.  This configuration is working, but not a long term solution if I want to add more files to the NAS.

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 08:02:12 AM »

1) no 2) you are not using it as a USB drive anymore (In fact it is now formatted to a filesystem that Windows cannot even read)!

3) Make sure that you are looking for it as a network device (you can contact Memeo at support@memeo.com)

Lastly) First, If your backing up the LS to the DS, it is best to use the LS backup utility. AND AGAIN, this does work over the network when setup properly (Buffalo would not include a software with a NAS that doesn't work with network devices, you can read this on Memeo's website Here, it says you can backup to "another computer on the network" which is how it will see this drive)

Goal) Buffalo (as well as any other HDD company) always recommends backing up anything that you need/want to keep! This is a normal USB drive with the same HDD in it that you would buy for your computer, with that it brings the same reliability. 

I hope this helps

kevin

• El Toro
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 08:03:40 AM »
This version of Memeo is to backup your computer (the C drive) to a network device, NOT a network device to something else.