Author Topic: USB hub works great for my NAS, but not my printers  (Read 2602 times)

sbenard

• Calf
USB hub works great for my NAS, but not my printers
« on: September 09, 2009, 07:21:54 AM »

I know that USB hubs aren't currently supported for using while connected through the USB port on my new WZR-HP-300NH. However, I connected a USB hub to my router USB port with my NAS drive connected through the hub. The drive works fine, but the printers attached to the same hub aren't recognized. I have both a desktop and two laptops connected wirelessly. All use Windows XP. 

Until now, I've printed wirelessly by setting up the printers through my desktop PC, and then printing from the laptops through the desktop unit. However, this requires that I leave the desktop unit running constantly, which adds wear and tear to the desktop unit, plus the cost of the electricity to keep it running around the clock.

1) Is the challenge with sharing printers this way (via the router USB port) a hardware or software obstacle? What/where is the technology hang-up? Is it a problem with the "n" Ethernet standard or something else?

2) Has anyone else successfully found a way to get the printers to work this way, through a USB hub attached to the USB port on the 300NH router?

3) If the answer to #2 above is "yes", do any other users know of any work-arounds or configuration settings I can use to make this work? Has anyone else out there in this forum accomplished this successfully?

4) Are any software or driver updates planned that might alleviate this gap in capability?

Thanks for the help!

sbenard

• Calf
Re: USB hub works great for my NAS, but not my printers
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 03:44:11 PM »
   Is it possible that the gap in capability is due to the USB 2.0 standard? Just curious!

Colin137

• Big Bull
Re: USB hub works great for my NAS, but not my printers
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 09:11:57 PM »
The WZR-HP-G300NH doesn't support printers, only hard drives. I'll send up a feature request for you. There isn't really any technology hangup, it's just not implemented. I don't know of any planned updates to add the feature, but like I said, I'll forward that up for you.