Author Topic: setting up WHR-G54S as bridge with Linksys router  (Read 10123 times)

confoosious

• Calf
setting up WHR-G54S as bridge with Linksys router
« on: May 09, 2009, 01:17:44 PM »

hi folks,

Is it possible to use my buffalo router as a bridge if it's paired with a Linksys router?

I am using a Linksys WRT54GS.  

I've gone through all the steps but I don't know where to set Repeater-Bridge to Enable on the Linksys -- if it exists at all.

thanks

Message Edited by confoosious on 05-09-2009 02:17 PM

Ger

• Calf
Re: setting up WHR-G54S as bridge with Linksys router
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 06:36:49 AM »

confoosious

Are you wanting to use the WHR-G54s as a wireless repeater in order to extended the range of your current wireless network?

Or are you wanting to attach the WHR directly into the Linksys router as a wired bridge?

confoosious

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 07:55:22 AM »

AS a wireless repeater.

I'm stuck at the part of setting up the Linksys.  

Ger

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 08:12:59 AM »

The WHR-G54s uses WDS (Wireless Distribution System) when being used as a wireless bridge.

Your Linksys router may not have this feature or a similar one that would allow it to work with the WHR

The major things to look out for on the WHR are that the switch at the bottom is not set to BRI as this is for hard wired bridging.

That you have WDS enabled, a ststic SSID created along with a static channel and WEP encryption (WPA is not supported in WDS format on this model)

When enabling WDS ensure you do not select dedicated mode as this will prevent wireless clients from connecting to it.

You will need to enter the wireless MAC address of the Linksys router into the WHR so that it registers it as a WDS partner

If the Linksys router can be configured in a similar fashion then it should work

Consult your Linksys support for further details on its wireless repeater features

Note: That if the Linksys can be configured this way it will need to have the same SSID, Same Channel, Same Encryption type and network Key as the WHR

Message Edited by Ger on 05-12-2009 08:15 AM

confoosious

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 08:34:34 PM »

Thank you for your help.

It seems the linksys is the problem here.  

In order to bridge, I'd have to get another buffalo router.

thetimo

• Tatanka
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 05:37:14 AM »
   Or flash the Linksys with a 3rd party fw. That would be cheaper and perhaps easier too, if you don't live right next to the router shop... :smileyhappy:

confoosious

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 10:38:55 AM »
   Can you give me a little more info on that?  I dont want to ruin my router.

thetimo

• Tatanka
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 12:07:51 PM »

Linksys-devices are likely to be easy to flash with an non-commercial firmware. When done correctly, your router won't be ruined. Insert term 'dd-wrt', for example, to google and follow the links. Another good software is Tomato. There are good instructions to both.

I hope I'm not banned for this. An excuse would be that I'm not giving any advice to alter a Buffalo device here.

Skipperjosi

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 09:33:21 AM »

You don't need to by another access point. In my case, my linksys works fine as Accesspoint with the Buffalo AirStation WHR-G54CC as Bridge. Just remember: do not swich on WPA2 encryption on your buffalo router in section wireless/security (but the access point can be in WPA2 mode, however). In my case, WPA (no2) encryption with TKIP+AES works fine and is save.

Link removed by Admin

Message Edited by TByte on 06-01-2009 10:53 AM

skidsteer

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2010, 09:07:47 AM »

Did this ever get resolved. I'm trying to set a Buffalo wzr hp g300nh up as a wireless repeater for for a linksys router. Are these two compatible  or how did you installation turn out?

Any guidance appreiated

Ken

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2010, 10:41:11 AM »

skidsteer wrote:

Did this ever get resolved. I'm trying to set a Buffalo wzr hp g300nh up as a wireless repeater for for a linksys router. Are these two compatible  or how did you installation turn out?

Any guidance appreiated

Ken

the wzr hp g300nh does not have the facility to create a wireless bridge so you will not be able to do this.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!