Author Topic: Is the Linkstation DUO the same is the Linkstation Live?  (Read 1382 times)

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
Is the Linkstation DUO the same is the Linkstation Live?
« on: February 19, 2011, 03:54:40 PM »

I know they are not physically the same, and I know the Duo comes in larger sizes, but my question is this. I have a linkstation live 1tb, it is almost full and I wanted to upgrade to larger one. I have the chance to get a Duo 4tb for a smoking deal. My worry is that it will be completely different. Since its 4tbs does it have 4 different drives or will my data about 2tbs be spread across them evenly. I guess what I am asking is does the 4tbs appear as one big drive? The reason I ask is that I mainly use this to store my home movies, and backed up dvd's. So when I view them I go through my Xbox 360 and now It shows my Linkstation and then in the linkstation I see the folders I made with movies, music and pictures but since I have an attached 2tb usb drive to the Linkstation that appears as a second drive. I want to go to my xbox and see just the linkstation duo and all the folders in it. Any thoughts?

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Is the Linkstation DUO the same is the Linkstation Live?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 06:35:19 AM »

Unhappy09 wrote:

I know they are not physically the same, and I know the Duo comes in larger sizes, but my question is this. I have a linkstation live 1tb, it is almost full and I wanted to upgrade to larger one. I have the chance to get a Duo 4tb for a smoking deal. My worry is that it will be completely different. Since its 4tbs does it have 4 different drives or will my data about 2tbs be spread across them evenly. I guess what I am asking is does the 4tbs appear as one big drive? The reason I ask is that I mainly use this to store my home movies, and backed up dvd's. So when I view them I go through my Xbox 360 and now It shows my Linkstation and then in the linkstation I see the folders I made with movies, music and pictures but since I have an attached 2tb usb drive to the Linkstation that appears as a second drive. I want to go to my xbox and see just the linkstation duo and all the folders in it. Any thoughts?

Unhappy09, the DUO comes as RAID0 by default, this means you will be able to see the whole 4TB as one HDD however if one of the HDD has an issue the RAID will collaspe and the data will be gone.
Once you get it the best thing to do would be to delete the RAID0 and create a RAID1.  Using this setup you will be able to see about 2.6TB as one HDD and if there is an issue with one of the HDDs the data is mirrored so you will still have access to it.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Unhappy09

• Buffalo
Re: Is the Linkstation DUO the same is the Linkstation Live?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 12:34:04 PM »

Thanks Davo, my plan is to keep my 2tb usb drive and use it as a backup drive for the important stuff. My largest media is all my backed up movies and I have hard copies of that. Thanks for the reply