Author Topic: TeraStation 5400r can't delete RAID array (first time setup)  (Read 3667 times)

isojanis

• Calf
TeraStation 5400r can't delete RAID array (first time setup)
« on: November 18, 2014, 04:14:50 AM »
Just setting up the device for the first time, but can't delete or alter the RAID array 1. Also tried formatting it and that failed too. Only thing I was able to do to it was to remove 3 of the 4 drives on it.

Message not very informative, just "Failed"  :(

isojanis

• Calf
Re: TeraStation 5400r can't delete RAID array (first time setup)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 04:36:11 AM »
I can perform do the maintenance routine and it completes with no errors.

RAID maintenance notice

Target array:System field (md2)
RAID maintenance is complete.
[TeraStationInformation]
 TeraStationName: TS5400R162 (TS5400R)
 LAN1 MAC Address: B0:C7:45:9F:21:62
 Time: 2014/11/18 12:30:53
(and yes the mail notifications work, this is taken from it)
But the raid is still in state "Failed".

Right now the entire device is useless since I cant delete or create RAID arrays.

I have tried booting the device many times. Also tried to turn it off, wait and turn it on again.

isojanis

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 03:17:00 AM »
I know I might be able to reset everything and start over, but I have a second array and data on the disks 2,3 and 4. So that sounds like a very bad option at the moment.

Problem is just releasing the disk 1. What I would then like to do is to add it as a spare to the good array.

isojanis

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 02:48:21 AM »
I've been fighting with this for a week now. I still have the useless broken Array 1 hogging one of the disks.
I can't accept that I would have to reset everything and start over, the storage is in pretty much constant use. Anyone have any ideas to combat this?

joma90

• VIP
  • Life would be easy if we only had the source code!
    • Let me show you how to google
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 08:59:52 AM »
Download the firmware update for the unit. look for details on the force update procedure, and you will set noformatting to 1 so the unit will get there disk reformatted. Though this will also erase your settings most of the time i believe. I would give you the link to the force update here but its all messed up on the post. Pretty much find the TSupdater.ini and edit the file you should see noformatting = 0 at the bottom, change the 0 to a 1 and good luck
Units I own: TS-XL, TS-WXL, LS-WVL, TS-RXL,  TS5400, TS-RVHL,

I don't work for Buffalo but i do love there products enough to help people