Author Topic: Linkstation LS-QVL9D5 - not seeing new drive  (Read 78 times)

phantomcyclist

• Calf
Linkstation LS-QVL9D5 - not seeing new drive
« on: April 29, 2024, 11:45:51 AM »
I have a LS-QVL9D5 which has been running for years in RAID5 on 4 drives.  A drive failed several years ago and I replaced it and the array rebuilt automatically.

Yesterday disk 3 showed error in the Storage status window and the error code E16 showed on the front panel flashing LED. I tried rebooting to check that the error was not some tranistory glitch and now drive 2 also showed an error.  I took all the disks out and reseated them in case it was the hardware conenctors at the rear of the disk trays that was the issue.  On reboot, drive 2 and 3 showed an error.  It seems a coincidence that two drives failed that close together!

I took all the drives out and used contact cleaner spray on the connectors and replaced them into the Linkstation.  On reboot drive 2 and 3 showed errors and although drive 1 and 4 are shown as Array 1 along with the unit name. Drive 2 and 3 shown as Error with no unit name.  I had a brand new hard drive of suitable size available so I opened the packet, took it out and put into the Linkstation as Drive 3. 

On booting both drive 2 and drive 3 show errors so I now wonder if it is the connections at the rear of the drives that are the issue rather than the disks themselves.  I was expecting some kind of message about disk 3 (the factory fresh drive) being formatted.  Am I likely to be correct that it is the connection that is the issue and if soany suggestions on how to clean the contacts beep inside the chassis, or is it expected behaviour that the Linkstation is not doing anything with the new drive as there is still an issue with the Drive 2.

Any other things I can try before doing a total reset and restore?