Author Topic: LS-CH 1.0TB Currently a Format or Disk Check is being carried out.  (Read 5683 times)

craigymcfly

• Calf

The above message has been displayed on my web admin screen for the last 3 days.

Let me explain what has occurred..

I set up my new nas drive on Saturday firstly by creating folders to store my media, docs etc.  inadvertantly created a folder in the wrong location. So, i thought i could delete it via the web interface, but there was no check box.

Since there was nothing on the drive, i thought i would just run the delete function.

Originally the web admin screen displayed a 1/4 (something) message with a time to eclipse, which was roughly 1000 hours(!). After this, had completed, it began 2/4 which started to take the same time.

When i logged in again to the NAS web screen there is no status / time remaing message and only "Currently a Format or Disk Check is being carried out. During this time the LinkStation settings can not be changed. Also the file share service will not be available".

I have tried to reset by switching the unit off, holding down function for 6 - 30 seconds (tried several times now) and waited for a reboot. I was hoping this would fix it but i am still prompted for my admin password and not the "password" password.

The "Currently a Format or Disk Check is being carried out. During this time the LinkStation settings can not be changed. Also the file share service will not be available" message is still showing.

I am at my wits end now. Should i send this back?

craigymcfly

• Calf
Re: LS-CH 1.0TB Currently a Format or Disk Check is being carried out.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 07:30:10 AM »

Forgot to add specs:

Model Name: LS-CHL
Firmware Version: 1.06 (European)

Microsoft Windows XP SP3

jazzbo9

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2009, 11:53:09 AM »
   How did this turn out?  I have the same problem!  I think this gadget is a good idea but not ready for prime time.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 05:15:06 PM »

craigymcfly,

I would suggest the following steps although I would also note this could result in the potential loss of data:

1. Move the power switch to the ‘Off’ position(rear). The LinkStation Live will shut down after about 45 seconds.

2. While holding down the function button(rear for 6 sec), movethe power switch to the ‘On’ postion(rear). The Function LED will beginto flash blue.

3. Push the Function button again while the Function LED is flashing.

4. LED on the front will flash Blue, then will turn to Green when process is complete.

5. Download the firmware for the unit here and update.

Keep us posted on how this works out alright?

jazzbo9

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 08:38:02 AM »
   I had the same issue.  The firmware update worked (there were no 'forcing' options presented).  But when I power up the machine it goes into disk check mode.  I wish I could return it to the store but I have had it over a month.  Reading all the posts on this problem, and the odd spontaneous revivals, it is obvious this is an immature product and not at all reliable.  I have invested over 8 hours on this thing.  I will mail it back to Buffalo and let you see if you guys can do anything with it.

craigymcfly

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 06:04:53 AM »

After searching high and low for a solution and not finding one, I sent the item back to play.com, who promptly replaced it.

No problems with the new unit.

I suspect a dodgy batch as other people are having issues.

jazzbo9

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 07:59:56 AM »

The solution to add the line

[SpecialFlag]

Debug = 1

To the ini file that accoompanies the updater.

Bring it up and clicl the little symbol in the upper left hand corner, that will present you with the options.

Check the options to force flash and reformat.

That will reformat your drive, takes about a half hour.

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 03:02:24 PM »

The Disk Erase option under Disk Management can take several days... It took 5 for ours. This is because it is overwriting EVERY sector with ones or zeros, and it does it 4 times over. This is a method of secure deletion.

Disk Format will merely format the drive's filesystem again, without overwriting every sector. It can take just a few hours. 

leobotelho

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 04:46:31 PM »

IMpossible. I'm waiting for 3 days, and I'm still having the same message from my LinkStation. I tried the thing to hold the funcion button, but nothing happened. What is going on here? I tried to "format" the unit to use the time machine, which wasn't working previously, and now I can't even have my backup for my PC because it doesn't work anymore. There must have a solution.