Author Topic: Backup to external USB Driver super slow  (Read 2521 times)

Blashyrkh

• Calf
Backup to external USB Driver super slow
« on: March 16, 2010, 06:01:28 AM »
   Hi, i have a TeraStation PRO TS-HTGL/R5 and a 1.5TB external USB drive that is connected to it. I started a backup yestertay and its still only at 20%. Even though its about 1,1 TB of data that has to be backuped this seems awfully slow to me. Is this normal? The external USB drive is a Verbatim, so it should support speeds bigger than this.

Blashyrkh

• Calf
Re: Backup to external USB Driver super slow
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 06:02:55 AM »
   I have also formtatted the USB drive in XFS, so this cant be the problem

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 08:13:16 AM »

Did you create a backup plan in the Terastations GUI or did you map the drive in my computer and manually copy/paste. Have you tried more than one USB disk to ensure its not the USB disk thats at fault?

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

Blashyrkh

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 08:47:29 AM »

Thats the reason i bought an external USB drive to backup the files on the terrastation so in case of a failure of the terrastiation not everything is lost.
Yes i created a backup plan in the webgui.  Right now its at 24% after about 10h.
As there is no option to chancel the backup and try something else i think i simply have to let it finish wich will prolly take another 2 days.
It wouldve been a lot faster if i simply copied the files from my webshare to the usb disk.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 09:10:44 AM »

Well you are transfering a large amount if data (1.5TB) USB 2.0 usually transfers at a rate of 20-25MB/s which equals 72000MB an hour (70 -  72GB roughly), times 10 hours = 670GB

Your transfer rate would seem a bit slow but if you are indexing alot of file then id say it would be acceptable and to be expected to be honest.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

olvi

• Tatanka
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 12:38:45 AM »

I have similar problem also on my TS-III pro. I do "Differential Backup" every night. There is about 20G of data.

It still takes over 2 hours to complete this backup! And there is no new or modified files at all.

I think there is some problems in TS. There is lots of thinks wrong in TS :)
Don't really know why they bring so incomplete device to the market.

I think I have to return my device to dealer and buy working one :(

kitonne

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 01:31:30 PM »

Backing up to external USB drive is painfully slow.  Last I clocked 514GB in 96 hours.  Big files help, a lot of small files slow it to a crawl.  Using an external computer to do the copy, and a program like teracopy or fastcopy is about 10x faster in my tests (going from internal share to external USB drve attached to the same NAS, tested with  LS-W1.0TGL-R1 , LS-CH1.0TL-R , and LS-WX2.0TL/R1).  Diff mode backup is quite fast, usually 10-20 min with a few file changes, on about 1TB of data, mixed file sizes.  There is a diff complete and a diff - you want the last option in the menu, "diff" for speed, not the "diff complete".