Author Topic: BackUp to offsite server  (Read 2655 times)

68rustang

• Calf
BackUp to offsite server
« on: September 25, 2009, 09:53:47 PM »

I have searched through the forums and didn't really find anything that related to my question. If this has been talked about before please point me in the right direction.

The only two remotely close that I found:

http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&message.id=7530&query.id=43624#M7530

http://forums.buffalotech.com/buffalo/board/message?board.id=0101&message.id=2114&query.id=43624#M2114

I recently purchased two LinkStation Pro Duo units to use as stoarge for my server backups. The original plan was to swap and take one offsite. After reading a little it sounds like I can use rsync and automatically backup one LinkStation to the other over the web, even better. I was just getting started configuring my remote firewall to allow access and got to thinking, I already have a server at the remote location with VPN and FTP access. Is there any way to configure the LinkStation to backup to another server instead of another LinkStation using the default firmware? Any third party solutions?

Thanks in Advance.

Message Edited by 68rustang on 09-25-2009 09:55 PM
Message Edited by 68rustang on 09-27-2009 06:41 PM

Kameran

• Big Bull
Re: BackUp to offsite server
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 09:43:26 AM »
A linkstation should be able to backup to another target, but we only support ls pro duo to ls pro duo along with the ls pro duo to a usb hard drive that has been formatted to xfs.

68rustang

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 08:35:35 PM »

Thank you for the prompt reply.

Kameran wrote:
1)A linkstation should be able to backup to another target, 2)but we only support ls pro duo to ls pro duo 3)along with the ls pro duo to a usb hard drive that has been formatted to xfs.

Please clarify, are you saying:

1) It should work having the LS Pro Duo at the office back up to my Windows Home Server at home just not using the default software and you guys (buffalo support) just can't help? That is fair and I understand I just wanted to know if it was even possible before I wasted my time trying to set it up.

or

2&3) No it won't work, LS pro duo <->LS pro duo or LS pro duo <-> USB xfs hdd are all that will work ?

Message Edited by 68rustang on 09-28-2009 10:21 PM
Message Edited by 68rustang on 09-28-2009 10:23 PM

68rustang

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 10:35:13 PM »

I also found this in the FAQ and was initially excited:

http://www.buffalotech.com/knowledgebase/users/kb.php?id=10127&category_id=8&sid2=

If LS Pro Duo <-> Windows Home Server won't work, I was thinking at least this should. That was until I ran into this little SNAFU:

"Also, the remote LinkStation passes its assigned IP address to the master.  This means the remote must have a public IP address for this to work."

Which echo'd what I saw in the forum post I linked to in my first post. Is there any way around this? I am thinking maybe a VPN tunnel set up between home and the office? Any plans to change the firmware to not make a separate public IP a requirement? It really isn't practical for many home users. Also not sure I would want the LS with my back-ups just hanging out vulnerable to the www.

I do have available static IP addresses at work but the backup I want to run is FROM work TO home. Where the work LS backs up my servers and then backs itself up to the home LS.