Author Topic: Backup/Clone old Linkstation to new?  (Read 1790 times)

eegad

• Calf
Backup/Clone old Linkstation to new?
« on: September 27, 2018, 10:13:47 AM »
I've had a Linkstation 210 (LS210D) for the past 4 years. Works great, no complaints. But after 4 years of being on 24/7, I'm thinking it's prudent to replace this unit. Since I've had no issues with it, and since they still make the LS210, I'm going to buy the same model again. That being said, what is the best way to migrate ALL data and settings from the old unit to the new? The unit is set up with 3 shares (one for pc access, one for mac access, one for mixed pc/mac access). Is there a one-step "backup everything and keep each shares settings the same" way of doing it (ie - cloning the unit)? Or do I need to attach the new unit to the network, set up 3 shares with the same settings I have on the old unit, and then backup data from each "old share" to the "new share"?

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
Re: Backup/Clone old Linkstation to new?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 10:59:25 AM »
With the LinkStation, probably the best way would be to duplicate the configuration manually, then just have the old NAS backup to the new one using the overwrite (differential) option. Here's a KB article to help:

https://www.buffalotech.com/knowledge-base/configuring-backup-on-a-buffalo-linkstation