Author Topic: TS5400R stops working during backup jobs  (Read 3993 times)

jgorman1000

• Calf
TS5400R stops working during backup jobs
« on: August 26, 2013, 09:55:35 AM »
We have 2 identical TS5400R, one in our data center, the other offsite for replication. The first one in our datacenter suddenly stopped accepting connections in the middle of us running our production backups and would not work again until rebooted. So we swapped it with the offsite one in our corporate office thinking it was defective and would be accessible when we call support. The other unit displayed the same exact behavior, suddenly becoming inaccessible right in the middle of our backups.

We are trying to use the device as a target for NetBackup, as well as numerous of our SQL Servers. Is there a really low limit on what this unit can handle as far as IO or do we just happen to have 2 defective 12TB NAS units?

The device can still be pinged.
The web interface will not come up.
No shares can be accessed.

ratty2013

• Buffalo
Re: TS5400R stops working during backup jobs
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2013, 10:04:34 AM »
Have you checked your firewall configuration?

jgorman1000

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 12:43:33 PM »
It doesn't pass through a firewall, it is on the same subnet as the NetBackup server that is trying to write to it.

Also, when I went over to the datacenter this morning, although the TeraStation showed no errors, it was completely froze up and not even the console screen would come up with a keyboard and monitor plugged directly into the unit.

The log files all look normal, they just stop logging 2 days ago and don't start again until after I reboot the unit.

jgorman1000

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 02:48:38 PM »
We seem to have worked this down to be that it freezes up when we do a SQL Server backup. Has anyone else experienced issues with that, or use these devices for SQL Server backups?

ratty2013

• Buffalo
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 03:46:32 AM »
could there be an IP address conflict with your SQL server?

FSSS

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 02:42:45 AM »
We have 2 identical TS5400R, one in our data center, the other offsite for replication. The first one in our datacenter suddenly stopped accepting connections in the middle of us running our production backups and would not work again until rebooted. So we swapped it with the offsite one in our corporate office thinking it was defective and would be accessible when we call support. The other unit displayed the same exact behavior, suddenly becoming inaccessible right in the middle of our backups.

We are trying to use the device as a target for NetBackup, as well as numerous of our SQL Servers. Is there a really low limit on what this unit can handle as far as IO or do we just happen to have 2 defective 12TB NAS units?

The device can still be pinged.
The web interface will not come up.
No shares can be accessed.

We're seeing exactly the same thing on our 5400R (it's F/Ware was up to date as at 14/09/13).
The unit has not been added to AD.
4 Servers (2003 R2) using Shadowprotect 5.2 backup to this unit.
They all use the default 5400R admin login to access the 5400R.

Here's the thing,
If one machine runs a backup, it will complete (SQL or otherwise, it doesn't matter).
If more than one machine runs backups simultaneously, they will all fail and at precisely the same time.
At that point, the 5400R becomes unresponsive (as OP; it can be pinged, you cannot get web access, shares cannot be accessed).

The 5400R has to be reset.

It's obviously a bug.

What I'm planning to try is to set up 2 new accounts with admin privileges and try to run simultaneous backups using separate accounts, but I can't do that until later today. I'll post back with findings.

Either way, the 5400R should not become unresponsive in these circumstances. It needs a F/ware fix.

joma90

• VIP
  • Life would be easy if we only had the source code!
    • Let me show you how to google
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 04:24:48 AM »
Sounds like a similar issue i had with the TS5200. I updated to the new firmware they just release and that fix my issue was transferring about 200GB image of a server and keep freezing. Here are the release notes to the new firmware. If anything i would try getting the new firmware and see if that helps.

[Firmware Release Note]
Version 2.42 [2013.9.12]
=Added and modified features

[RAID]
- Added the option to cancel the resync after creating a RAID array.

=Bug fixes
- Fixed the bug where the backup or replication target TeraStation freezes when hundreds gigabyte of files are backed up using backup or replication.
- Fixed the bug where the TeraStation freezes when hundreds gigabyte of files are copied via samba.
- Fixed the bug where Settings is not accessible after initializing the admin password using a password recovery USB drive.
- Fixed the bug where some files are not restored after using a USB drive to restore settings.
- Fixed the bug where the TeraStation cannot be accessed after a USB drive format failure.

[RAID]
- Fixed the bug where RAID scanning doesn't work on the first day of each month.

[Samba]
- Fixed the bug where files become read-only to everyone other than the file owner when creating or editing a shared folder from Settings while the shared folder is open.

[Replication and failover]
- Fixed the bug where files containing single quotations in their filename cannot be copied to replication or failover targets.
- Fixed the bug where some files cannot be copied to their replication target when the TeraStation is rebooted after an abnormal shutdown.
- Fixed the bug where replication tasks don't work when the replication target USB drive is disconnected.

[DLNA]
- Fixed the bug where the TeraStation's icon isn't displayed by DLNA client devices.

[Settings]
- Fixed the bug where the "Random Generation" button for BuffaloNAS.com keys didn't work properly.
- Fixed the bug where group quota settings weren't displayed properly.
- Now WebAccess remote and Amazon S3 may be used at the same time.

(I decided to provide the link just in case some people don't know how to find it)
Firmware Download Link: http://www.buffalotech.com/support-and-downloads/download/ts5000-242en.zip
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 06:43:34 PM by joma90 »
Units I own: TS-XL, TS-WXL, LS-WVL, TS-RXL,  TS5400, TS-RVHL,

I don't work for Buffalo but i do love there products enough to help people

FSSS

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 05:54:42 AM »
That's a good shout too. When running the firmware update it says up to date but it's 2.40

I'll download 2.42 and run that as well.

2 things to try now.

jgorman1000

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 02:02:45 PM »
We just installed 4.4 as well and were able to finally run one of the backup jobs successfully that locked the device up previously. We will be trying the rest of the jobs this week.

joma90

• VIP
  • Life would be easy if we only had the source code!
    • Let me show you how to google
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 06:23:35 PM »
I recommend downloading the firmware always.. i never trust software to update software.. LOL Since the firmware is the operating system in the TeraStations, that just makes me not willing to do it even more. But that is my opinion.
Units I own: TS-XL, TS-WXL, LS-WVL, TS-RXL,  TS5400, TS-RVHL,

I don't work for Buffalo but i do love there products enough to help people