Author Topic: VISTA - network printer (NAS) - access at logon  (Read 1516 times)

mikele

• Calf
VISTA - network printer (NAS) - access at logon
« on: February 01, 2011, 09:44:52 PM »

hello, 

I bought a Buffalo LS-CH1.5TL-V2 (firmware 1.37), and attached a canon printer to it.

I have 2 machines on the network from which I want to be able to print.

One is running Windows XP professional, is attached to the routher using a LAN cable, I added the printer from the control panel like you would and everything went fine.

The other machine runs VISTA ultimate service pack 2, and connects to the routher via WI-FI.

Adding the printer from the control panel, selecting it from the list offered from the wizard, was "working", but not really, ducuments sent to print would not end up in the queue or would take up to 3 minutes before being print.

Seached the internet and following somebody's tip, I added the printer using : \\IP.ADDRESS\lp, enter the password, check 'remmeber my password' and it works fine, printer is responsive and all.

Now my problem is that each time I re-start the PC, it doesn't re-connect to the printer, it gives 'access denied' as a status where it should say ready.

and, so far, the only way to make it work again is to remove the printer and add it again...

in the NAS web-admin, the printer server doesn't have any option to remove (or add) password.

I am not sure where to look... any idea?

thank you!

M<

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: VISTA - network printer (NAS) - access at logon
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 08:36:20 AM »

Try putting the linkstation on a static ip address. 

mikele

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 10:31:02 PM »

just tired that, seems to have changed nothing... :(

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 07:09:44 AM »

You do know this has nothing to do with the Linkstation right? Since the printer is working on the XP machine this means the print server on the Linkstation is operating correctly.

Its more than likely a driver incompatibilty between the printer and the Vista workstation.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

mikele

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 10:40:04 PM »

thank you.

I totally understand that.

actually, I am pretty sure it is a permission issue.

googling more I find some discussion that made me try this:

open the RUN dialog (I do win+r)

type: \\(NAS-IP-ADDRESS)\lp

it brings up another window asking for id and password,

after I enter them, it does connect the printer and all is fine...

it is 1000 times better than deleting the rpinter and reistalling it,

but still it won't remember the password even if I check the appropriate box for it.

later I will try writing a .cmd file that does the job and have it in the startup folder... and see if it does the trick at next reboot.

I will write here the result.

mikele

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 08:26:11 PM »

it worked.

adding this line to a .cmd file and have it fired at start-up, make the printer available and ready.

net use \\ip.address\lp PASSWORD /user:USERNAME

thank you for the support.