Author Topic: First HDD failed, then the second "need to replace immediately"  (Read 7077 times)

doobre

• Tatanka
LS-WXL and windows 7 network...
okay, the first of the two HDD failed and the unit was running in degraded mode, but so quickly afterwards the second HDD created a fault and the warning about replacing was shown.

I backed up the content before the drive before it finally failed, and thought I would try to reformat the whole unit (2xHDD)
I switched off the NAS using the switch on the back, and now when it is switched on again the unit is not showing up in the network or NAS Navi 2... and cannot ping its IP address.

The red LED is flashing three times then pause, then three repeating in that pattern.. the blue LED is flashing continuously...

is it recoverable..?
user of 3x LS-WXL, 1xLS220D but not that impressed with the reliability of the Seagate disks they use...

joma90

• VIP
  • Life would be easy if we only had the source code!
    • Let me show you how to google
Re: First HDD failed, then the second "need to replace immediately"
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 03:29:12 PM »
How did you try to format the unit? Did you use the option in the Linkstation or did you use windows?  Sounds like E30.. might be a E03 which is a RTC chip error, are they long red flashes or short, If its a sec each its long, if its like half a second its short.
Units I own: TS-XL, TS-WXL, LS-WVL, TS-RXL,  TS5400, TS-RVHL,

I don't work for Buffalo but i do love there products enough to help people

doobre

• Tatanka
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 06:36:21 AM »
Hi joma90
I switched off the unit again and did a reset using the function button..
after the reset to factory default I was able to see the unit on the network and went to the web interface..
there I could carry out a format of the raid disk not the actual HDD...
so at the moment I am back to where I was before losing acces.

the raid is in degraded mode and HDD#1 needs to be changed...

The web interface does not seem to allow formatting of the HDD, am I correct..
I need to take it out and format it in a PC..?

cheers
CD
user of 3x LS-WXL, 1xLS220D but not that impressed with the reliability of the Seagate disks they use...

joma90

• VIP
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 08:57:17 AM »
No don't format the disk in the pc, If you have replaced no disk you should get the first disk replaced, That is your issue most likely, If the unit is in warranty, contact buffalo support for a replacement. If it is not in warranty, order a new drive roughly the same size, If you can find the same model for cheap go for it. If not just get any drive that is the same size of storage, Most of the drives are 5400RPM i believe so if you want to get a drive with better specs like 7200RPM, more cache, etc. You can, You can even get a bigger drive if you want, I won't go past 3TB drives as 4TB drives start to run in to compatibility issues once in a while.

You can upgrade both drives if you want but, you need to first replace the bad drive. Format the drive in the linkstation, Make sure it is visible and working, then power down the unit, replace the second drive, power up, format that drive in the link stat, make sure that one is visible as well, and then build your array, and bam, bigger storage.

(I hope your using the Newer LS-WXL and not the older model) You can tell by one being black and the other being black with a silver square front and a grey metal back. If its the older model I believe the biggest drive you can use is a 500GB
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 09:03:22 AM by joma90 »

doobre

• Tatanka
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 09:14:31 AM »
so why can't I format the faulty HDD now through the link station web interface..?
when I select the drive which shows the "Error" message the option of "format disk" goes greyed out.. !!
that was why I thought I would reformat it on a PC..
or does the link station only allow formatting of unformatted disks > new ones which have not been formatted at all yet..?

cheers
CD

joma90

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 02:42:31 PM »
If the disk is faulty why do you want to format it? You have to use windows to format it as unpartition and then reformat with the linkstation, If the drive is faulty your are just going to be wasting your time as it will fail again if you try to use it on the linkstation. It might not fail right away but will within due time as it already has failed.

doobre

• Tatanka
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 04:40:27 AM »
I suppose i have trouble believing that both disks can become "failed" almost at the same time, and after not being in service so long.. I bought the NAS about 2 years ago and have already replaced one HDD on it before now..
and both need to be replaced this time..
perhaps I am hoping that I can format the HDD in windows and it will be okay..!!?

joma90

• VIP
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 08:55:14 AM »
So go head and take out the disk you can use which is disk one, Format it in Windows and then delete the partition so it has NO partition. Just to make things less of a trouble, Technically you can leave it as a windows format but I rather leave it as unpartition. Put the drive back in the Linkstation boot up the linkstation and format it, then once disk one is working do the same to disk 2.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 08:59:48 AM by joma90 »

doobre

• Tatanka
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 07:30:04 AM »
Hi there..
okay now I get conflicting messages between the Navi2 and the web interface..
Navi2 says replace disk 2 immediately, web says array is okay..

I have a screenshot but there seems no where here to attach.
cheers
CD

joma90

• VIP
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 02:42:01 PM »
You have to use a image hosting site from what I have done in the past. Hmmm... try uninstalling and reinstalling the nas navi software. If it comes back with the same message, makes me wonder if the unit is not reporting it on the dash... or not.. any blinking red lights?

doobre

• Tatanka
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 11:46:37 AM »
Hi there..
yes blinking red LED, reinstalled Nav2 it still shows the "E30 - drive 2 error replace....." message..
but web interface is still happy..

and neither mention the raid being in "degraded mode"..!???

screenshot here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2uRLZkESse-ZTc3eXVibnB0WVk/view?usp=sharing

so seems that I am going back to the shop for another HDD.. that's both HHD replaced twice within three years..!!!

doobre

• Tatanka
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 08:16:08 AM »
latest.. I restarted the NAS again through the web interface, and now the NAV2 and the web interface agree..
no "E30-replace drive...." anymore..
so I have no idea what was going on.. but so far it's all quiet on the buffalo front..

joma90

• VIP
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 01:22:22 PM »
Hmm.. no idea, seems like it might be a failing drive but there's a chance it can be the unit. 2 Drives failing in 3 years... sounds normal if there used everyday. This unit has a 1 year warranty, the drives in there are most likely green western digital or green seagates. Those drives are rated for 2 years if you buy the drives normally.