Author Topic: LS-XHL Access Restrictions Problem  (Read 2050 times)

tonytones

• Calf
LS-XHL Access Restrictions Problem
« on: April 01, 2010, 07:43:55 PM »

Can someone here please help me. I've been trying to setup my linkstation for access rights for to days now and I going insane as its NOT doing what its supposed to. Its not doing  what it said on the box.

What I want to do is very simple.

All I want to is setup a shared folder that will only allow one single user (i.e.  admin/Administrator/user) access to this shared folder but won't work.

When I goto add restrictions I don't have an option for readwrite or anything like that.

Its either allow everyone or nobody.

When I add restriction to the guest only it still won't allow me to acces the shared folder as admin or tony(a user setup as hduser). the only way to acccess the shared folder is to not enable access restrictions.

Is there a firmware update i need to do? If so, how do i do it?

Is there another reason why its not working?

Please help.

Thanks,

Tony

michiganian

• Calf
Re: LS-XHL Access Restrictions Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 09:25:26 PM »

Which OS are you using?

If you are using Windows OS, your LinkStation user name and password must be same as your Windows user name and password. It is written in the user manual (Sorry, I don't remember on which page it is written...). So, if your Widows login name is not "admin" or "tony", you cannot access to your LinkStation's share folder.

Check your user name and password on both Windows and LinkStation.

It is a Windows limitation; so, as long as you use Windows OS, you need to deal with it.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 06:47:47 AM »

When you enable access res.  first restart your PC.  Windows likes to keep credentials around.  Disconnected all of your drives.  Set your Restrictions and then Map the drive with the Restrictions first.  When you try to access it, it should prompt you for a username and password.

tonytones

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 03:13:21 PM »

ok sorry but neither of these two responses are the cause of my problem.

I'm using xp

My problem is in the linkstation configuration.

My problem is that once the access restrictions is enabled then it is not possible for ANYONE to have full read/write access to this folder...

I have managed to get now to allow access into the shared folder as admin or tony but its still only giving read only access and there seems to be nowhere in the setup configuration to change it to read/write.

If I can't set this thing up to only allow one user full access whilst keeping everyone else out completely then its completely useless to me as I only want it to store our backups.

Hoping for a solution,

Tony 

Jason

• El Toro
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 04:04:43 PM »

Once you enable Access Restrictions in a share and add a user to it, the default value is "Read Only". If you click on where it says "Read only" it will become a pull down menu and you can select "Read&Write". If you don't see this use a different browser.

tonytones

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 04:52:35 PM »

Hi All,

Thanks Jason but I just figured this out prior to your posting.

I am using interent explorer 6 like still a lot of people are today.

I've now discovered that v6 does not display some key features/switches etc. and this is why it was not possible for me to see or switch users access rights reagarding restrictions.

Hope you moderators will remember this for the next poor sod who struggles with an issue like this one.

I've used internet explorer 7 to configure the access restrictions and everything is working perfect now.

Thanks for your posts,

All my best,

Tony. 

:smileyhappy: