Author Topic: Problems with authentication.  (Read 2624 times)

ToolTexas

• Calf
Problems with authentication.
« on: October 05, 2009, 06:52:45 AM »

I have 2 HD-HTGL/R5 TeraStations with 2.6 Firmware.  One of two works fine in active directory authentication.  The other works fine as long as I do not enable Access Restrictions.  When you enable Access Restrictions it prompts you with a login box that no user name password combination will work including the onboard administrator. 

I though that a firmware upgrade to 2.16 might fix the problem.  That how ever was not the case.  I need authentication on this unit.  

Has anyone else run in to this issue?

Thanks in Advance.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: Problems with authentication.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 02:48:06 PM »

Try disconnecting from every share that is mapped on your computer and rebooting it.  Then try mapping the share folder hat has the most strict access permissions set first on the second TS.

You can only log in as one user at a time (a Windows limitation) so if you map a share that doesnt have access restrictions you will automatically be logged in as a guest.

ToolTexas

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 06:17:51 AM »

Thanks for you response PCPiranh.

I have two of these units that were bought at the same time.  They are used for backup in a Windows only atmosphere.  I do not map drives to these units.  That becomes a problem depending on who is logged in.  They are reference \\server\username only.  The one in Texas is 100 % functional.  If you have the rights to access these folders you are in, otherwise it prompts you for a login.  The one in New Jersey works fine if you don't enable "Access Restrictions", of course no restrictions to anyone.  If you turn on "Access Restrictions" and assign access permissions it will not let anyone in.   What is really confusing is that I can see the Active Directory of all users in order to assign permissions.  So the device does recognize Active Directory.   It appears that it is not picking up cached credentials when you try to access the folder.   It also does not respond to the login window using Active Directory or local login.  Another interesting issue is that every time you add a user or modify a user that has no description defined it will default the description field to the first user name every time.  I deleted the first user and recreated him with no change in this issue. Now if there is a Description it will not change it.  This is really a non issue.  I mention it because I thought it might be related.  .

I have Init the system and updated to 2.16.  Neither of which helped at all.  I am really at a loss as to what else would work.

I am really impressed with these units.  The one in Texas has been trouble free for many years now.

I am really at a loss as to what else I might try.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 02:27:45 PM »
Are the users also in groups?  Also are you setting the access restrictions via the terastation or in active directory?

ToolTexas

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 03:04:35 PM »
   No groups are used.  The TeraStation is the one that is not allowing them in.  Disable authentication and everything works fine.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 03:16:13 PM »
So you have access restrictions enabled and users in read or read/write.  When you are disconnected from the unit on the computer and you reboot and try to access via \\IP, what happens?

ToolTexas

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 05:48:28 AM »
   No access either way.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 02:48:51 PM »
What is the exact message it gives you?

ToolTexas

• Calf