Author Topic: Help with Print Server  (Read 9985 times)

cfoulstone

• Calf
Re: Help with Print Server
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 08:35:42 AM »

Chaps

I have now discovered that my printer is not quite fixed. I can print from Firefox, Adobe reader etc fine, but Office will not print from one of my laptops (running Vista). I can print fine from Office on another laptop running Vista, but my Dell XPS just will not connect.

The Office program hangs when I select the printer from the print dialogue box, and then slowly background prints the job. I see the print job appear in the queue with the tag 'spooling', but it does not reach the printer - it simply vanishes from the queue on the PC as if completed.

I have run the repair option on the Office installation CD, but that didn't help either.

Does anyone have any ideas??

Message Edited by cfoulstone on 05-12-2009 02:38 PM

rtm

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 10:24:56 AM »

Thanks guys, after I posted my last comment, I found the link below.  I like the post Dustrega wrote that bbrosg pointed to, I'll try that tonight.  Doesn't have that verbage about voiding the warranty.

http://www.buffalotech.com/knowledgebase/users/kb.php?id=10142&category_id=0&sid2=

Message Edited by rtm on 05-12-2009 10:26 AM

rtm

• Calf
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 12:04:06 AM »

[In my best Gene Wilder voice]

Why you .................... Why you rotten yellow ..................

OK, I'm disgusted now.  I've tried the force firmware update with and without the firewall on, with almost exactly the same results as before.  When I set the printer up normally, it shows spooling, then nothing, while the local setup still errors out.  Oh boy, that's some progress, eh?

So, next step is as recommended above, full debug, all options selected.  I'm afraid this is going to take a while, so I'm kicking it off, then going to bed.

If this fails, what are my next steps?  I spent 15 minutes on hold listening to a recorded voice tell me to check the FAQ and forums, then got tired and went to bed. 

Are the mods here the same folks who answer the phone? 

Thanks all who've tried, I appreciate the effort. 

disputator

• Buffalo
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 02:42:24 AM »

Once I had a problem when I changed the printer. The only way was open printers (and faxes), press file then server properties. I removed all printer drivers from there and the TCP IP ports too. (driver tab, port tab of course) Afterwards I did a firmware reset in web interface, installed the printer on the clients (same procedure with removing the driver before) and that was it. Did work afterwards without complaints. Was a canon printer. I used the right click on lp and connect methode to install the printer.

I hope it will help you too because it sounds similar.

Message Edited by disputator on 05-13-2009 09:45 AM

rtm

• Calf
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2009, 08:26:23 AM »

Mr Foulstone had the winner.

I was finally able to print a test page from the printer properties. Showed up in the queue as spooling, then printer made noise Trying notepad now, printer just started making noise.

Will try the rest of the programs tonight, I gotta get to work.

Not that this was without cost, all data and shares were lost, the NAS was reset to Japanese and some strange character set, but, IT WORKS.

Sorry, guess I should stay in character

[Gene Wilder voice]

Alive! It's alive! It's alive! 

Thanks to all for the late night responses.

Message Edited by rtm on 05-13-2009 08:28 AM

cfoulstone

• Calf
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2009, 08:37:41 AM »

Good news Mr Wilder! Did you manage to sort out the Japanese character set? Aplogies for forgetting to mention that this happened to me too.

Unfortunately, I'm still having issues with Office on one of my machines, but I think it is unrelated to the Linkstation as my other Vista machine works fine. Oh well, on to the Microsoft forums for some help and advice - wish me luck!

Message Edited by cfoulstone on 05-13-2009 02:38 PM

bbrosg

• Calf
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2009, 08:39:27 AM »

as you wish: GOOD LUCK!

;)

rtm

• Calf
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2009, 10:52:27 AM »

CFoulstone,

YEs, the Japanese was easy to fix, but unexpected, until I recalled the country of origin.

Re: vista and your printer, here's what I'd attempt.  Remove the network printer from Printers, then select another printer, go into Ports, and remove all references to the TCPIP ports.  I accumulated multiple unused ones during the multiple attempts at this.  Then reinstall.

Could be Word is picking up an old odd entry (it is a microsoft product after all), and not queueing to the right port.

And Good Luck to you, you brought me some.

Dr. Frederick Fronkensteen