Author Topic: TS1400D Reset  (Read 5674 times)

ron.michelson@gmail.com

• Calf
TS1400D Reset
« on: November 29, 2018, 03:33:29 PM »
My TS1400D was in use at one of my business locations.  We closed that location and I am trying to add the device to another location.  When I boot the drive it has a flashing amber light.  I tried to use the reset procedure in the knowledge base, but it still boots with a flashing amber light.  When I start the NAS Navigator I get a message that the devices DATE is incorrect and I authorize changing the date.  I then get a message indicating Navigator cannot connect to the device.  The device icon appears in the NAS Navigator UI with an information icon.  When I try to go into settings it fails.

Is there a way to do a hard default of the device to restore it to factory defaults?  I hate to loose the data, but I can live without it.

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
Re: TS1400D Reset
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 03:43:35 PM »

ron.michelson@gmail.com

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2018, 04:55:29 PM »
I can't get into settings. It times out.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2018, 05:02:58 PM »
It's probably on the wrong IP range, what's the up of the Terastation and the pc your trying to connect to it with?
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

ron.michelson@gmail.com

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2018, 11:41:11 PM »
It's got an unusual IP address.  That's what I need to change.  I'm concerned to know what the amber light means, if there's an underlying issue on the TS14000D. It wouldn't be worth the effort to change the IP address on my router.  I'd much rather default the device.

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 09:15:17 AM »
You should be able to change the IP address and re-install the firmware using the debug options of the firmware utility (TSUpdater.exe).  You should be able to do this without loosing the data on the disks though depending on what the underlying issue is that ship may have already sailed.

Details on how to enable debug mode can be found here:
https://buffalonas.miraheze.org/wiki/Enable_Debug_mode

I believe selecting all the "Update Checkboxes" and selecting "Do not check version" and "force update" should do what you're looking to do. Obviously, only try this if you're willing to loose this data in the event it doesn't work.

If you decide to just start over with blank disks, this device has an option to re-install the firmware form the built-in flash memory. That procedure can be found here:
https://buffalonas.miraheze.org/wiki/Terastation_TS1400D#Install_Firmware_from_NAND

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 09:31:38 AM »
You should be able to change the IP address and re-install the firmware using the debug options of the firmware utility (TSUpdater.exe).  You should be able to do this without loosing the data on the disks though depending on what the underlying issue is that ship may have already sailed.

Details on how to enable debug mode can be found here:
https://buffalonas.miraheze.org/wiki/Enable_Debug_mode

I believe selecting all the "Update Checkboxes" and selecting "Do not check version" and "force update" should do what you're looking to do. Obviously, only try this if you're willing to loose this data in the event it doesn't work.

He wont be able to do this as he is on a different IP range and so cannot communicate with it.

OP, connect the Terastation directly to a PC with a network cable -> Set a static IP on the NIC of the PC to match the IP range of the TS -> Log onto the admin page -> Change whatever you want.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

• Debian Wizard
  • Big Bull
  • There's no problem so bad you cannot make it worse
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 11:11:05 AM »
Good point.

In my somewhat limited experience TSUpdater is pretty good about locating and working with devices with messed up IP addresses (I believe it can use some non-IP protocol to talk to it by MAC address). That probably only works if your on the same network segment as the device and likely has other caveats I can't anticipate.

Like Davo said, directly connecting it to your PC should help if TSUpdater can't find the device.