Author Topic: Wireless Guest Network on Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH  (Read 2437 times)

mbworldz

• Calf
Wireless Guest Network on Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH
« on: May 29, 2011, 11:14:45 PM »

Hello, i am new using this  Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH product.   Trying to setup a guess wireless for my client to use.   Basically  I have 3 computers linked together and they all have shared network drives with personal information.    I wanted to setup this wireless guest network so if I give free internet access to my client, they won't be able to see all my 'shared' drives.   I only want them to get access to the internet from their laptop thats it.  

I am reading this post.  "http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Wireless/FAQ-5-of-5-Wireless-Guest-Network-on-Buffalo-DD-WRT/td-p/65372"  on how to set it up but I get confused with this step

Check the advanced box and enable AP isolation and set Network Configuration to "unbridged" and set up your IP address scheme and subnet mask.

What is "set up your IP address scheme and subnet mask."  ?     Do I find out the ip from the main computer and the subnet mask and input in the buffalo interface ?

So if I do ipconfig, it shows 192.168.11.55   and subnet mask 255.255.255.0  ?

And for setup this guest account under Virtual Interfaces, what Wireless Mode do I use.    AP or WDS AP ?

If anyone who has experience setting this up,  I really need some help.

Thanks in advance.

CED

buddee

• Big Bull
Re: Wireless Guest Network on Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 09:34:25 AM »

I have read that guide and don't really understand how it would work, but i know this guide works with no fail.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Multiple_WLANs

I currently use the Multiple WLANs guide on my wzr-hp-g300nh to provide my neighbor with wireless access, works like a charm!

mbworldz

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 04:37:46 PM »

Hello Buddee.

Thanks for the reply.   I am about to try it.   May I ask what firmware version are you using on your WZR-HP-G300NH?   I called 24/7 tech support and they are horrible.  Put me on hold for long time then the tech guy say "whats up"?     Like i knew him for 10 years lol.   He didn't help resolve the solution.   I updated the firmware V24-SP2 build 16783 and tried setup the guest wireless setup but not working, then he wanted me to download the basic firmware for the router and I did.  The web interface looks totally different and seems old.   Just right now I changed to a a different firmware,  now I have DD-WRT (Professional) firmware for the WZR-HP-G300NH V24-SP2 build 14998.   Is that what you have ?

Regards

CED

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 06:41:40 PM »

I am currently using 16785, but it really doesn't matter the build because its worked for me on multiple builds back from 14998 onto what i am using now, i haven't upgraded to 16994 because DDNS is not functioning properly in it, and i do happen to use DDNS, but as far as the multiple WLANs guide is concerened, i have not ever had a problem with it, and of course my neighbor loves it, basically gives her and children internet access on their own network, away from my main network (i use the iptables rules in the guide so she can't access my LAN), which is great!