Author Topic: Drive Station Combo 4 Hot  (Read 1274 times)

lvdata

• Calf
Drive Station Combo 4 Hot
« on: April 19, 2011, 07:55:07 PM »

I just got a Buffalo Drive Station 4 HD-HS2.0TQ (V2) and when used continuously it gets very warm to the touch. As my normal procedure I am running Spinrite  on level 2, to weed out an early failure. How isolated or not is the internal drive from the exterior case? I am going to be using it hard, and I don't want to have to rebuild from backups & lose work time being down. I know SOME cases have a large air gap between the hard drive and the case, and other the case makes contact with the internal drive. I have not been able to find any exploded diagrams of the Drive Station, so I have no idea if the case is 120DegF , the drive is about 130DegF.     or if the case is 120DegF, the drive is 160DegF. How hot is too hot for a case to be and end up with a quick death of the drive on the inside? I don't WANT to void the warranty, but without taking it apart, how do I trust my data to it?

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Drive Station Combo 4 Hot
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 02:33:32 PM »

Where did you buy it from and how long have you had it for? I would just exchange it. It should NOT be getting very hot. 

lvdata

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 02:43:37 PM »

Newegg, about 2 days ago.

It is more a question of how closely the exterior temp matches the hard drive temp. At this point I'm trying to find out more about the enclosure,  before my 30 days are up. Exploded diagrams would be nice......

Thanks

lvdata

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 02:58:16 PM »

I dont know that information and exploded diagrams are not available. If the unit is getting hot like that it needs to be replaced. 

lvdata

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 05:28:24 PM »

No, the outside is not getting that hot. After losing a few hard drives due to heat (about 5% of my collection), I just tend tend to be a little OCD about the temperature.