Author Topic: Just got my LS Live and have a few questions....  (Read 2267 times)

forumaccount

• Calf
Just got my LS Live and have a few questions....
« on: November 04, 2009, 04:50:19 PM »

...hope you can help;

My LS Live is a V2 running Firmware 1.10

1. I've enabed HDD spindown but haven't really notice any change in the sound coming from the device - does this option actually make a difference?
2. Access restrictions - have enabled this and works well as I now have to enter a username and password to map a drive to the network share. However, when I access the device from my XBOX360 I don't have to enter any credentials and I am able to browse the pictures etc. How is this so? Is this due to the guest account?
3. Security. Following on from my comments in point 2 - how secure is the device from, for example, hackers? I guess internally I don't need to worry as someone would need to get access to my internal network to access it, but if I open it up to WebAccess and FTP am I exposing my personal data to the world?

4. If the HDD fails, do I have to send it back to Buffalo? I'd rather change it myself as I don't want to send all my private data to the company.

5. When browsing to the pictures via my XBOX360 it only shows four (of hundreds) of folder names but I can see all the pictures if I browse via date...why?

Think that's it for now!!

Hope you can help.
Thanks

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: Just got my LS Live and have a few questions....
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 08:21:27 PM »

1.  Unfortunately drive spindown doesn't work.  We tried very hard to get it to work, but we were unsuccessful.

2.  You are most likely seeing the media server through your xbox

3.  Don't allow anonymous for web access, and try to aviod using FTP, it's an antiquated and insecure protocol

4.  For warranty replacements, you have to send the defective product back to Buffalo.  We take steps to ensure that personal information is destroyed, but ultimately we cannot GUARENTEE that the sanctity of the data will be preserved.  Opening the case will void the warranty.

5.  XBox 360 is not a DLNA compliant device.  it works at all because the LS uses TwonkyMedia server.  You can access the settings of this by http://<linkstation IP>:9050

marijnr

• Calf
Re: Just got my LS Live and have a few questions....
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 02:38:24 PM »

Hi,

1.  Unfortunately drive spindown doesn't work.  We tried very hard to get it to work, but we were unsuccessful.

The hdd spindown feature is present on my LS-CH1.0TL-V2 (bittorrent version) with firmware 1.10. I had no luck getting this feature to work (all network services disabled). Is this feature supposed to work or is there still some work to be done by Buffalo?