Author Topic: Shares - setting up, etc  (Read 2075 times)

Morrile

• Calf
Shares - setting up, etc
« on: November 07, 2010, 03:34:58 AM »

Hello,

I have the TS-RHTGL/R5 with 8Tb, firmware 1.35 and it's been setup with admin acces only. I have created a single share with 'windows' with 'read/write' rights for the admin account . However, I can ping the device and 'i'm here' works fine. Sadly I cannot see or access the share. I have tried using the name and IP without any luck.

I am obviously doing something wrong, but what and where?

Morrile

daoswald

• Buffalo
Re: Shares - setting up, etc
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 10:33:18 AM »

Does NasNavi II list the device, and if you double-click on the device do you see the share?

Morrile

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 12:09:17 PM »

Hello Daoswald,

When I run Buffalo NAS Navigator, it can see the device, it's only the shares which cannot be seen or accessed. I forgot to mention that I am running Windows 7 x64.

Thanks,

Morrile

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 03:55:11 PM »

Are you able to access the interface of the Terastation? 

Morrile

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 11:41:01 AM »

Yes, I can access that no problem. Just a thought: Can shares be accessed with the admin account or best to create a user account?

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 11:47:38 AM »

You cannot use the admin user name. You must create a separate user. The Admin user is just for configuring the web admin page. 

Morrile

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 10:15:26 AM »

Many thanks, I will try that over the weekend and see

Morrile

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 11:06:26 AM »

Well still no luck. I discovered that windows 7 Home Premium wasn't the best version as it doesn’t have a local security policy, so I flattened the system and installed Ultimate with all updates; and I don’t have any other firewall installed. I do have file and print sharing switched off as well as Network Discovery (just in case that’s irrelevant).

Within the local security policy I have changed Network Security LAN manager Authentication Level to ‘Send LM & BTLM – use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated’.

When I run Navigator I can see and access the Browser management, so the system can see and access the NAS in some shape or form. I have created the follow;

• NAS has been setup RIAD 5
  • Two shares called ‘Data’ & ‘Apps’ (can we mixed upper and lower case for names?)
  • Both are set for Windows only, read/write, with access restrictions enabled read/write for a single user (no group or admin users)
  • Service setup as Apple & FTP both disabled and NAS navigator detection allow
  • Within Group management there is only the three default, admin, guest and hdusers
  • I don’t have the default ‘share’ folder (even after resetting the system – is this a hit to what’s wrong?)

When I try and map a drive I get error 0x800704cf

I am now none the wiser

Forgot to mention that both devices are attached to my router which is a Netgear WNDR3700 (just in case)

daoswald

• Buffalo
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 03:40:11 PM »

Is your router configured to block access to other devices on the network?  It seems to me my Linksys has such a function.  It's a long shot, but still a possibility.  The idea is that some routers can be configured to make it so that each device on the network has access to the WAN, but not to each other.

Morrile

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2010, 04:46:44 AM »

Hello everyone,

Good suggestion by daoswald, but that wasn't it.

:smileyvery-happy: I now have it working and the solution was to allow 'file & print sharing' in both in the 'advanced sharing settings' and on the 'adaptor properties'. Usually I have these disabled for security reasons. I do have 'network discovery' turned off.

As I write this the system is performing a full backup to the NAS as planned.

I am now a happy bunny

mflewelling

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 09:00:37 AM »

I have sent access to a lot of people. They can log into their accounts, and open the files but documents they could previously view, are no longer available. I have confirmed they created a log in and password and had them clear their cache after the latest update. Any help would be greatly appreciated.