Author Topic: Firmware upgrade stuck for 10 hours so far on LS-QVL8.0  (Read 5927 times)

eliot

• Calf
Firmware upgrade stuck for 10 hours so far on LS-QVL8.0
« on: July 09, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »

Hi there,

When I logged into the configuration utility, it told me there was a firmware upgrade. Currently I have firmware v. 1.56. I went to upgrade the firmware. It spent around an hour saying it was downloading the firmware image, then it switched to the message "Progress: The machine must be restarted to enable the firmware settings. Please wait until the restart process is complete." It has been showing that message for the past 10 hours. The Linkstation no longer shows up in NAS Navigator - however, oddly, it does show up as a shared network location in Finder (I'm on a Mac running OSX Snow Leopard), and I'm able to navigate to the files on it and access them through there. I tried connecting to the configuration utility in another browser tab (while leaving the one that says "Updating Firmware...Please do not close or refresh this window until the firmware update is completed" as-is) but got a 404 error.

Any ideas what's going on? I'm awfully hesitant to kill the browser session that says "do not close or refresh this window" or restart my computer. But something is definitely stuck. Or could the firmware update legitimately be taking 10 hours? How come I can still access the files while it's running?

Thanks in advance for any help.

drmemory

• Big Bull
Re: Firmware upgrade stuck for 10 hours so far on LS-QVL8.0
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 01:29:31 PM »

what browser/revision are you using to update the FW?

eliot

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 09:57:18 PM »

Tried to do the update via Firefox 13.0.1.

No flashing lights on the unit. The power light is solid blue, and the indicator lights for each of the four drives is solid green.

After about 36 hours now it still shows "Progress: The machine must be restarted to enable the firmware settings. Please wait until the restart process is complete."

Do you think it's safe to just kill the browser session, maybe restart the computer, and then try downloading the firmware from buffalotech.com to install from there? As I mentioned before, the NAS itself is still accessible via Finder, just not in NAS Navigator, which is pretty odd.

eliot

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 11:18:27 AM »

Thanks guys, I guess we have nothing to fear but fear itself. Closed the browser, restarted the computer, and the unit showed up in NAS Navigator right away on startup. Logged into the configuration utility and it shows the firmware is now 1.60. I guess it must have succeeded in upgrading but the page never updated to say so.

Ringfinger

• El Toro
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 12:24:13 PM »

I had the same issue using Firefox.  Just close and reopen worked well for me.