Author Topic: RAID 1 not setup correctly - or is it?  (Read 3017 times)

AtomicMrX

• Calf
RAID 1 not setup correctly - or is it?
« on: May 06, 2009, 07:32:21 PM »

When I go to the Disk Management section it says RAID Array 1 Status Not Configured and if I click on RAID Setup and it also says Name: RAID Array 1, RAID Mode: Not Configured, Disk Structure: (blank), Capacity, (blank).

Then if I click on the tools next to RAID array 1, it has RAID Mode Raid 1, for Disk Structure it has Disk 1 and 2 checked, then there is the Setup RAID Array button.

I don't think I set it up correctly and I have a TON of files on it. Should I take all those files off and click on the Setup RAID Array button to "complete the settup" or is everything fine? I also don't see any files on the 2nd disk and about 8% full on disk 1.

I really wish the documentation was more complete. This is my first network storage device and I'm lost!

Thanks! 

Jason

• El Toro
Re: RAID 1 not setup correctly - or is it?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 01:12:11 AM »

It's not set up right.

If it were in RAID 1 it would say Raid Mode: RAID 1, not, not configured.

When you delete the original array, a RAID 0 array in this case that's exactly what it does, it doesn't just automatically create a RAID 1 arra, it just deletes the existing config leaving you with two independent drives, which is what you have now.

So you need to go here and do that setup RAID option, and yes that would delete your data, you would need to move it elesewhere first. 

AtomicMrX

• Calf
Re: RAID 1 not setup correctly - or is it?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 05:07:03 AM »
   Thanks! I was afraid that was the problem but before doing all that "moving" work I wanted to be sure.