Author Topic: How to install the FW on a new disc ? [LinkStation Pro]  (Read 6642 times)

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: How to install the FW on a new disc ? [LinkStation Pro]
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 10:11:50 PM »

Hm, that is strange.  As far as imaging the partition over it might be possible as long as the software supports XFS partitions.  I don't have access to any type of disk images anymore as I just help with their forums now.  Are you able to ping the device after the TFTP boot goes through, you didn't answer that.  Main reason I ask is because if you can't ping it after the TFTP boot goes then there isn't really any way for the updater to see it (as far as I know).  The NAS LED flashing blue might also mean it could be running a disk check (although it depends on how rapidly it's flashing) in which case you would have to let the device be for a while (approx. 12 hours for a 2 TB HDD).  Again, with a disk replacement/upgrade it's a dicey situation which I, along with the rest of the mods here will try to help with, but we can't make any guarantees in this case.  Lastly, what is the version of the firmware you downloaded? (Don't forget to see if you can ping the device after the TFTP boot).

billyjohn

• Calf
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 01:32:38 AM »

Hi everyone.
Sorry for the delay, but I was making a video to show you exactly what I did and what happened during the procedure.

Here is the video, it might be clearer for you now ^^

Video On YouTube

Do not hesitate to comment and propose other possibilities...

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 01:45:18 AM »

Can the program you were using in ubuntu to detect the disk format the drive in XFS? 

billyjohn

• Calf
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 02:52:30 AM »

It can do it, but I didn't do any formated partition, just as you said me to do. One time I even tried rebuilding the same "partition-scheme" that's on the damaged disk...but without concluding results...

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 11:12:29 PM »

Well I thought maybe you could try formatting it to XFS to see if it would detect it then. I'll see if I can think of anything else.

billyjohn

• Calf
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2010, 02:37:33 AM »

I just tried to format the main partition in XFS and to do the same procedure...but the result is still the same...

billyjohn

• Calf
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 01:43:06 AM »

So ? Nobody else has a solution ? How do they do in the factories to format correctly the disks ? Probably by ghosting them... Is there anybody who can give me an image of a LS-XHL disk, even with an old firmware ? This way I would try to ghost this image on the disk and try using it...

teknikal2

• Calf
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 08:23:15 PM »

I had the same problem trying to install a new drive into my LS-CH500L.  The problem was that I was trying to install the latest (1.37) firmware when my unit can't use any higher than 1.07.

billyjohn

• Calf
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 04:37:05 AM »

Hmmm...This might be a solution...I'll try to install an old version of the firmware...But my LinkStation Pro is one of the latest products made by Buffalo...And it supports the latest firmware as it was installed on before the disk died...

billyjohn

• Calf
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 08:19:07 AM »

I tried several old versions of the official Buffalo's firmware...but without much concluding results...

billyjohn

• Calf
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2010, 01:17:46 PM »

YEEEEEEEE-HAAAAA !!!!!! Problem Solved !

Here's the solution :

I tried with another version of the TFTP Boot Tool, which served different blocks on the NAS, à this point, the updater was able to find the device but I couldn't make the update...so I tried to force the update with an alternative version of the firmware, and there, it worked ! So I just had to force the update again with the latest version of the firmware and....voila ! ^^

Thanks to every single person who took time to help me !

bnice5299

• Calf
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2010, 02:03:27 PM »

where did you get the old firmware im having the same problem?