Author Topic: Buffalo HD-HXU3 Formatted drive, now CD Partition has gone???  (Read 2523 times)

bewarned

• Calf
Buffalo HD-HXU3 Formatted drive, now CD Partition has gone???
« on: October 21, 2010, 12:51:41 AM »

Hi,

HD-HXU3 - USB 3.0 External Drive.  Firmware 1.0.9

This drive still works okay.  I update to firmware 1.0.9, which installed the CD partition.  I was trying BitLocker, which was encrypting and taking ages.  So I formatted the drive with Windows and now the CD Partition with all the Hard Drive files is gone.  I know I have done this, but how can I get it back???  Obvious the firmware upgrade that put them on doesn't work now, as it see the drive as a current version.

Any help would be great.

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Buffalo HD-HXU3 Formatted drive, now CD Partition has gone???
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 09:26:12 AM »

Basically the cd partition was on there as a place holder for your files, like a virtual cd disk. You can simply download the files again on http://www.buffalotech.com/support/downloads   

Just select your model number and download "Software for the drive".

Morinor

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 01:15:42 PM »

I had a similar problem and the data on virtual driver has gone. The files provided for download are the old ones and don't contain encryption settings etc. Because this firmware installs extra files I think that it should made to be able to reinstall it or just remake virtual disk. The strange is that I succeded installing (and reinstalling again and again) the 1.07 by changing ini provided with the installation. I changed VER to 0x0110 (when trying again even 0x108 fits). But then when I tried reinstalling 1.09 it gives the error that the device doesn't need update. Now I have two disks (merging isn't possible), have lost the files I need and the firmware is 1.07 with hardware encryption(as 1.09 intallation says). I tried even using updater for 1.07 but using the firmware of 1.09 but it doesn't recognise it as a firmware. One more thing that has make me upset is the ini provided in 1.09 isn't readable. It is the first time seeing an encrypted ini.

Morinor

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 02:11:08 PM »

Well actually I found out that the ini in 1.09 isn't encrypted but compressed. Anyway it doesn't affect the updater anyway.

MrFett

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 06:14:52 AM »

Hi,

Just bought  a HD-HXU3and discovered that the CDFS drive - I see 'bewarned' said he managed to remove the CDFS drive but I've seen other threads saying this isn't possible.

Can someone from Buffalo confirm if I'm stuck with this random drive or not?  Very disappointed Buffalo chose to do this than just include a real CD or a downloadable ZIp instead - seems absurd.

Bob

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 09:00:59 AM »

MrFett, it is not supported to remove the CDFS partition. I have asked how myself but have been told that it is not supported.