Author Topic: Buffalo HD-HXU3 1.5TB error  (Read 2094 times)

jrmtz85

• Calf
Buffalo HD-HXU3 1.5TB error
« on: September 29, 2012, 06:17:42 PM »

Hi guys, hopefully someone here can help me.

I have a 2-year old HD-HXU3 1.5TB that recently stopped working. I was just watching a video on it, closed it, and when i opened another one the drive stopped working.

I am getting different types of errors at different times, but it all leads me to belive that the real error is an I/O one. Sometimes both partions get recognized, sometimes just one and sometimes neither. Manager sometimes says I need to initialize the drive and then sometimes they don't even show up. DIfferent recovery programs also sometimes do and don't recognize it, and when they do, they say the data on the large partition is RAW.

I have been doing these tests on WIndows XP, Vista, 7 and BartPE. BartPE also threw out the I/O error at me, so that really makes me think that's what wrong with it. I have most of the 1.5TB full, so losing that data is pretty much not an option for me.

Should I just crack it open and try it in an enclosure or what would you guys recommend? If I do need to open it, is there a guide somewhere for it? I don't wanna screw it up more than it is already. Thanks!

jrmtz85

• Calf
Re: Buffalo HD-HXU3 1.5TB error
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 09:59:16 AM »

Thank you for the response. The drive is over 2 years old, so I know its out of warranty so that's not an issue for me I guess.

Paying for data recovery might be an option, but given the price of it, I really would rather have it be the last one.

I did a lot of research and one of the common causes for external drive I/O errors was something going wrong with the enclosure itself. I already ordered another enclosure and hopefully that one will work.

Another question I guess, will the CDFS partition interfere with plugging it into another enclosure? Not sure how/what the CDFS ever did since I never even used it.

Thanks