Author Topic: Mac OS 10.7 Issues w/ Time Machine - PLEASE READ  (Read 93336 times)

portal

• Calf
Re: Mac OS 10.7 Issues w/ Time Machine - PLEASE READ
« Reply #75 on: September 09, 2011, 01:49:02 PM »
All, see the other thread on this if you want to enable access to your now broken NAS via AFP:-

http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Storage/Mac-OS-10-7-Lion-can-t-connect-with-LinkStation-LS-WX2-0TL-R1/m-p/78977#M40904?
http://www.honestindian.co.uk/?p=137?

Your NAS still might not support Time Machine, but then might not have before Lion anyway.

ngarimu

• Calf
« Reply #76 on: September 09, 2011, 01:56:52 PM »

@portal: re "...but then probably didn't before Lion anyway"

Please take care with your statements so that you do not mislead other readers.?

The issues here are related not only to the fact that Apple changed the allowed user authentications mechanisms (as required by the Finder) but *also* that Time Machine simply will not work if the storage mechanism allows the now deprecated authentication mechanism DHCAST128 regardless of what UAMS are (en/dis)abled for AppleShareClient.

It is perfectly valid for a NAS to have worked prior to Lion for both Finder (AppleShareClient) *and* TM but now after the workaround of re-allowing DHCAST128 UAM in Lion to only work with Finder (AppleShareClient) but not TM.

ajreynolds23

• Calf
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2011, 03:28:41 PM »

@portal 

I agree wth ngarimu, My LS-QL work perfectly with backing up both my MBP and iMac.  It was supported before Lion.   

Your workaround is one of a few that allow the afp connection back to the NAS.  But a majority of the people were need/want Time Machine to work they way it did with a SL installation; hence the title of the thread..."issues with Time Machine" .

Thanks for the post on the workaround, I am sure it will help a lot of people.  But we also have to stay on top of Buffalo and get them to support their products the way other companies in the same market are doing.

?

portal

• Calf
« Reply #78 on: September 09, 2011, 03:44:24 PM »
Fair play to both of you, have updated my post. My buffalo nas never did support it, so guess I got carried away.

Agreed that key is to get Buffalo to help us all!

TimS

• Calf
« Reply #79 on: September 09, 2011, 04:23:39 PM »

Jay,

Do you have an update on possible firmware releases in support of Time Machine for Lion?  Specifically, there are many of us still waiting on the LS-QL update and simply need an honest answer (yes or no). 

melmalinowski

• Calf
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2011, 10:12:50 AM »

Those of us with TS TGL/R5 have been waiting since late July for firmware that will work with Lion.  It's now mid-September. Could you project when we will get this firmware so we can resume using our Buffalo drive normally?

Also, given the magnitude of this problem, and how many users it affects, it would be nice to put up one link where we can check for which models you have completed the Lion-compatible firmware. Even better would setting up a way to email us when our particular firmware was available--having to check, check, check for months is getting old.

ngarimu

• Calf
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2011, 10:18:26 AM »

+1 for the TeraStation ES - as quoted earlier a "business class device" that has since been out of business.

deagles

• Calf
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2011, 03:16:50 PM »

I've got 2 LS-QL's and want a solution.   The 2nd one i purchased BRAND NEW just 3 months ago.  It was a disaster from the start (refer this forum post) .. as I said in that post, if this isn't fixed, it's stricke 3 for Buaaflo, and I'm out as well.  I'm just disgusted that a product I bought new only a few months ago, isn't supported !

ajreynolds23

• Calf
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2011, 09:53:07 PM »

And I am out....just sold the Linkstation (LS-QL) and using the funds to buy Synology.  Lack of support is my primary reason for leaving Buffalo and will be the main reason I refer collegues to other vendors.

Good Luck everyone!

peshko

• Calf
« Reply #84 on: September 12, 2011, 09:15:55 AM »

Jay,

Any idea when TeraStation™ Duo - TS-WXL/R1 & TS-WXL/1D firmware will be available???? We struggle with the AFP and Time Machine.

Thanks!

ccarter404

• Calf
« Reply #85 on: September 12, 2011, 09:29:31 AM »

I'm right behind you ajreynolds23.  Lack of communication is my reason for leaving.  If Buffalo had even bothered to respond to it's customers and explain it's position, I would have considered buying another Buffalo product since I own the 1st generation terastation.  But I don't appreciate being ignored especially since I have been telling people for years how much I like my terastation.  Buffalo's customers deserve better.  But since Buffalo apparently doesn't think so, Buffalo doesn't deserve us as customers.  Remember Buffalo, people share bad experiences 10x as often as good.  I think a number of people at Buffalo should be fired, starting with the PR department that ignores so many people on this forum.

Delta5

• Calf
« Reply #86 on: September 12, 2011, 09:39:09 AM »

ccarter404 wrote:

I'm right behind you ajreynolds23.  Lack of communication is my reason for leaving.  If Buffalo had even bothered to respond to it's customers and explain it's position, I would have considered buying another Buffalo product since I own the 1st generation terastation.  But I don't appreciate being ignored especially since I have been telling people for years how much I like my terastation.  Buffalo's customers deserve better.  But since Buffalo apparently doesn't think so, Buffalo doesn't deserve us as customers.  Remember Buffalo, people share bad experiences 10x as often as good.  I think a number of people at Buffalo should be fired, starting with the PR department that ignores so many people on this forum.

+1,000,000

Everyone affected will tell their friends & colleagues.   My circle of friends has been informed and will no longer be buying Buffalo products; several of them are experiencing the same problem.  Furthermore, I play a key role in IT purchasing decisions at my company.  Buffalo won't be considered for future purchases.  This debacle proves that we just can't trust that they're going to support their products appropriately.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2011, 09:45:37 AM »
I can understand how alot of people are upset about the issue however ccarter404, your device was discontinued 5+ years ago, the support has to end somewhere! Or do you expect everlasting support on all your devices? Also, correct me if i'm wrong, the only thing you cannot use at the moment is TimeMachine? (you should be able to access your files on smb and ftp) but this unit was never advertised as being compatible with TM from the start! I myself have an old HD-DTGL (the same generation as your device) If Windows 8 was to come out tomorrow and it didnt work with the OS you wouldnt hear me bitching about it! I've had that unit for 7 years and would understand if it wasnt supported!
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

ccarter404

• Calf
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2011, 09:51:18 AM »

Davo -- I never said lack of support is why I am leaving...I said LACK OF COMMUNICATION IS MY REASON FOR LEAVING. Please pay attention.  I hate repeating myself.

Delta5

• Calf
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2011, 09:56:57 AM »

davo,

You make a very valid point.  There's a time when you have to just move on from legacy products.

My problem is that there are some products that were/are advertised to have Time Machine functionality that now do not work.  I have had my LS-CHL for a couple of years.  I purchased it for several reasons, but a major one was that it was advertised to work with Time Machine.  And it did, flawlessly, with Leopard & Snow Leopard.  And that's really about 95% of what I used it for.  Now it won't work with Lion. 

My issue is that the LS-CHL is still listed as an active product with BuffaloTech.com right now.  It has links to buy it, and it still claims to be compatible with Time Machine.  Now to be fair, there's a V1 and a V2 version of the LS-CHL, and the V2 appears to have a fix.  I guess I just don't know why V1 owners have been left out (with no communication as to why).  That no-communication issue is very frustrating.