Author Topic: Linkstation Pro LS-XHL 2tb  (Read 1864 times)

TheBujun

• Calf
Linkstation Pro LS-XHL 2tb
« on: January 16, 2010, 08:57:15 AM »

Hi

Just purchased the xhl to use as time machine for a macbook, as well as back up and storage for a windows vista pc data. I set the NAS up via the macbook and tried to run time machine, but I kept getting 'unable to mount and sparsebundle errors'. I'm new to mac os x and therefore had to search for a solution, which didn't seem obvious. One recommendation suggested upgrading the firmware (v1.10 initially) so once I'd configured the nas on the windows, I proceeded to download the v1.20 firmware (only seems to be able to update via a windows machine!).

In the mean time, because I'd already transferred approx 500gb of data for storage I 'recklessly' decided to reformat/reset to factory conditions in order to just start all over again. I certainly didn't take in to consideration the length of time this would take!! Anyway, started the reformat in the evening, went to work the next morning, came home to failed a router (apple extreme base station) failure, which required resetting and reconfiguring and a flashing red linkstation - would the reformat process have carried on regardless?

A day later, the drive was now flashing blue then red (I neglected to count off the flashes) and was accessible on both the pc and the mac. Although NASnavigator on the mac stated an E22 error, but the pc version didn't. I updated the firmware, but now no volume existed on the nas drive and I couldn't send data to drive, although folders and users could be created and settings (passwordds, etc) could be altered.

I am currently reformatting the drive again (and hoping that the router holds up), so the next few hours/days it's out of commission anyway, but is this E22 error something to worry about. Is this formatting going to rectify the issue?

I am really crap at networking issues and all the MAC address, IP stuff - I read all the reviews that said the linkstation was fairly easy to set up and maintain.... I'm probably just to dumb to use one. I'm not too fussed about the time machine business - there's always the Lifeagent program to fall back on. Some of the sparsebundle solutions just seemed to complicated for my wee brain!

Any information would be gratefully received.

TIA

JoshC

• Big Bull
Re: Linkstation Pro LS-XHL 2tb
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 03:39:40 AM »

An E22 error is a faulty HD.  If you just purchased the unit I would suggest taking it back to the retailer you purchased it from.  If they cannot exhange it for you then please give us a call and we can set you up with an RMA.

Klors

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 12:34:35 PM »

Out of interest, approximately how long should the factory reset take on an LS-XHL 2TB? Mine has been going for 4 1/2 hours now...

Similar to the user above, I tried to configure the unit for Time Machine use and ended up with similar errors in setting up the link to the Mac and so decided a factory reset would be easier.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 01:07:09 PM »

The reset should no take no longer than 2min or so.  How did you reset the unit?  Which firmware Version do you have?