Author Topic: LS-XHL Flashing Blue  (Read 4525 times)

tritonman

• Calf
LS-XHL Flashing Blue
« on: December 20, 2010, 10:23:49 AM »

The other day my NAS started flashing the Function and power LED blue. It will not respond to the manual power shutdown so i have to force a reboot by unplugging the power cable.

When it restarts i hear the drive spinning and data being read but still both LED's are flashing blue. I was still able to ping the device via the statically assigned IP i gave it but NAS navigator or share browsing would work.

I also tried to update the firmware with the most recent one on Buffalo website but the lsupdate would not see the device.

I have tried the EM boot method with no success.

I attempted the TFTP boot, again with no success. However im not sure i used the correct TFTP image.

I was hoping someone here could give me the correct TFTP image so i can boot to the and force a firmware update?

or help me resolve this issue.

H3LD3R

• Calf
Re: LS-XHL Flashing Blue
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2010, 03:20:28 PM »

Hey, i am having the same problem, both blue led's keeps blinking, i can't EM it or even TFTP... what shall i do?

The NAS is allmost new (25th November 2010)....

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 06:29:00 AM »

The correct image would be the LS-XL 1.00.exe.  Did either of you have any success pulling the files?

H3LD3R

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 07:32:45 AM »

nop, My Function LED's never stops blinking, so i never had a response from the NAS in the TFTP boot....

The only thing that i can do with the NAS is ping it.... nothing else works....

Allways both Blue LED's are blinking and they never fix or stop....

tritonman

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 07:44:27 AM »

I can download the image from the ftp site, but i am unable to get the NAS in EM mode or have it respond to TFTP.

I have tried the Em instructions posted as a sticky along with the TFTP and neither work for me. Although the TFTP wont work if you cant get it into EM mode per the instructions?

I tried again last night and the only i was able to do was ping the NAS.

I can hold the Function button during power up and release then hold which works fine, but nothing stay solid. I also can hear the drive spinning and accessing "data" i assume. What is also strange is when i leave the power button on and plug the power cable in, the Function button is not as bright as the power button? When I leave the power off, plug in the power cable and hold the function button down to attempt EM mode the Function button is now as bright as the Power LED?

When i attatched the NAS to my laptop (Win7 64bit) via a network cable, I set my IP to the 192.168.11.1 IP as suggested and Subnet to 255.255.255.0 and left everything else blank (Gateway, DNS) still no succes. I also left my wireless on at one point to have it listening to my internal IP also.

Dustrega

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 11:38:23 AM »

When the NAS goes into EM some units will have their power light go solid when they've completed the boot procedure.  If the unit is booted into EM mode it will most commonly stay flashing.  If you're able to ping the unit you should be able to perform another type of communication such as a force firmware update without a direct connection.

tritonman

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 11:41:22 AM »

When I attempt to do the Firmware update the lsupdate does not see the NAS at all and neither does the NAS navigator.

The firmware I used was the one diretly from the Buffalo downloads for my specific model.

Any suggestions?

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 12:56:38 AM »

If the NAVI won't find it neither will the updater, they run the same protocol on the same port.  If it boots into EM mode then it should show up in both.  If you tried booting it into em mode to no avail, and tried the TFTP procedure (and it did not pull the files) then unfortunately an RMA would be the only option.

tritonman

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 07:48:49 AM »

Thanks. I was afraid of this.The device is only 4 months old.

So i assume all of my data on the drive is considered a loss?

H3LD3R

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 08:50:21 AM »

Weeeee! i've solved my situation.... 

In order to go through the firmware update we will first need to try and bring the unit to EM mode.

Please see below for details on how to bring the unit to EM mode.

EM Boot:

- Power the unit down (disconnect the power by pulling out the power cable while the unit is ON).

- Reboot it, if the power led is still flashing more than 55 second's from the start, disconnect the power and retry.

- Do this until the unit's power led is constant 45 second's after the start and the unit is on EM.

Please note it can take a number of attempts to bring the unit to EM mode (approx 15-20). Once the unit is in EM mode it will be displayed as such in the NAS Navigator software (firmware will show as “---“) and we can then install the firmware on the unit using the instructions sent previously.

That was a mail from Buffalo Support, and it works :D

tritonman

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 09:21:21 AM »

I will try this again tonight. Maybe i didnt wait 15-20 times until the led went solid.

Good news though. Hope it works for me.

tritonman

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 09:24:44 AM »

H3LD3R

Did you leave the power button and and just keep plugging and unpluggin the device until it worked? Or did you do the exact EM instructions of holding the Function button down, releasing etc?

H3LD3R

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 09:27:15 AM »

No Fuction, just using the power and alot of patience.... :D

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 09:29:06 AM »

Basically you're trying to simulate a power failure on the unit, this will put it into EM mode then you can reinstall the firmware.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

tritonman

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 09:40:05 AM »

Ok, i will try the power failure simulation tonight then. Hopefully i can report a success, otherwise RMA here i come.