Author Topic: Unable to add correct DNS and Default Gateway to Static IP  (Read 3203 times)

trsands

• Calf

I have at  TS-XL502  when I disable the DHCP and use static IP .  I cannot input the additional information linke DNS and default gateway. It has an invalid value for Primary DNS,  no value for default gateway. I can still access the unit, but I wonder if this can cause other problems. Have since discovered unable to add to my domain.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
Re: Unable to add correct DNS and Default Gateway to Static IP
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 08:34:08 AM »

What are the credentials you are trying to enter?

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

trsands

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 08:57:27 AM »

Trying to add Primary DNS and Default Gateway.   I have having problems adding this device to my domain. Im sure that the problem is related.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 10:44:03 AM »

Are you trying to connect it to Active Directory?  Which version of firmware do you have?  If your trying to add it to your domain using AD then follow the stepsbelow.  Make sure that you have the time set within 5min of the domain contoller also make sure that the GMT is set correctly.

Configuring Active Directory for the Buffalo

Before integrating the Buffalo NAS into Active Directory there is a check list that should be gone over.

1) Have you created a pre Windows 2000 computer account on the domain, that has the same name as the Buffalo's Hostname ?

2) Does your domain controller require Digitally Signed SMB Packets? On Windows 2003 Server these policies are enabled by default. They need to be set to 'Disable', not 'Enable', or 'Not Defined'.

3) Is the Time/Date/GMT on the Buffalo set within 5 minutes of the Time/Date/GMT on the Domain Controller? Windows Domain Controllers are set to reject packets if the timestamp is 5 minutes or more out of sync. Buffalo recommends using the NTP function on the Buffalo for this reason.

4) Do you have the DNS setting on the Buffalo pointing to the IP address of the Domain Controller?

5) Does you Domain Controller also run a DNS server?

6) Are you accessing it via IP address or host name? The Buffalo can only be access by IP address when it is integrated into Active Directory.

7) Does the Domain have over 1,000 users? The Buffalo has a limitation of 1,000 users, there is a workaround if you have 1,000 users or more.

And here is how you configure the buffalo:

Configuring a TeraStation for Active Directory:

• A computer account with the name of the Terastation needs to be created on the domain. It needs to be configured so that a pre-2000 machine can use this account. Also, the Domain Controller needs "NetBIOS over TCP/IP" set to "enabled".
  • In "IP Address Properties" under "Network", the DNS server address needs to be set to the Domain Controller's address.
  • The clock on the TeraStation needs to be set to the same timezone as the Domain Controller and the times need to be with in 5 minutes of each other.
  • The "Workgroup/Domain" page under "Network" needs to be set to the following settings - If ever a field is too short to enter the full information (particularly the Domain Name and the Domain Controller fields) they need to be filled in as much as possible:

Workgroup and Domain Properties:

• Network Type: "Domain"
  • Workgroup Name: N/A (greyed out)
  • Domain Name: Name of the user's Domain
  • Domain Controller Name: Name of the server that controls the Domain
  • WINS Server IP Address: The IP of whatever is running the WINS server (If not running WINS, use the IP of the Domain Controller)
  • Active Directory: "Domain"
  • AD Full Domain: The full name of the Domain, typically "domainname.local"
  • AD Full Domain Controller: The Domain Controller "dot" the full domain from the previous line so "domaincontroller.domainname.local"
  • AD Administrator Name & AD Administrator Password: The user name and password of an account with administration privileges so the Tera can properly be added to the network. This information will not be stored.

If you're still not having any luck or have too many users:

The unit has a limitation that it can download up to 1000 domain users. If you want to use domain user accounts, you will need to use the Delegate Authority to an external SMB Server option. To do this, select Workgroup and put a checkmark in the "Delegate Authority to External SMB Server", "Use Windows Domain Controller as Authentication Server", "Automatic User Registration", and "Authentication Shared Folder" and enter the required information. The "Authentication Shared Folder" option will create an open share. Have the domain users that are to access the unit login to that share. This will register those users on the Terastation. Afterwards, you can set Access Restrictions on the shares using those users and remove the "Authentication Shared Folder".

US Time Zones: During Standard Time: During Daylight Savings:
PacificGMT-8:00GMT-7:00
MountainGMT-7:00GMT-6:00
CentralGMT-6:00GMT-5:00
EasternGMT-5:00GMT-4:00

trsands

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 02:04:10 PM »

My firmware is 1.20. I am trying to add it to AD.   The problem stil remains that the Terastation does not allow me to  specify Default gateway, Primary and Secondary DNS address when I go into  Network>Settings>Modify settings.  As for  the checklist:

1) Have you created a pre Windows 2000 computer account on the domain, that has the same name as the Buffalo's Hostname ? Yes

2) Does your domain controller require Digitally Signed SMB Packets? On Windows 2003 Server these policies are enabled by default. They need to be set to 'Disable', not 'Enable', or 'Not Defined'.

Where do I change this?

3) Is the Time/Date/GMT on the Buffalo set within 5 minutes of the Time/Date/GMT on the Domain Controller? Windows Domain Controllers are set to reject packets if the timestamp is 5 minutes or more out of sync. Buffalo recommends using the NTP function on the Buffalo for this reason.  2 minutes different does not allow you to specify NTP and use local time (manual)

4) Do you have the DNS setting on the Buffalo pointing to the IP address of the Domain Controller? unable to specify as mentioned above

5) Does you Domain Controller also run a DNS server? Yes

6) Are you accessing it via IP address or host name? The Buffalo can only be access by IP address when it is integrated into Active Directory. By hostname / By address to manage

7) Does the Domain have over 1,000 users? The Buffalo has a limitation of 1,000 users, there is a workaround if you have 1,000 users or more.  Only about 200 users in domain

trsands

• Calf

I was able to get it into the Domain  by using a DHCP IP. Then reverting back to the static IP. This then took care of the DNS and other issues.