Author Topic: WCR-HP-GN in client mode  (Read 2767 times)

ajohri

• Calf
WCR-HP-GN in client mode
« on: September 05, 2011, 12:02:02 PM »

I just bought a new WCR-HP-GN n150 router for a simple purpose, to use it as an ethernet converter for some ethernet devices (in client mode in dd-wrt lingo). I explained the whole setup in detail to a buffalo sales guy, he suggested I buy this router as it would completely meet my needs (as it has bridge mode)

My setup: Master wirelss router: linksys wrt610n, trying to connect the buffalo router to it to share the internet connection on a different subnet, only for ethernet. Not trying to use as a repeater/range expander.

I have tried the bridge mode with wds (both manually and the wizard off the cd), but I keep getting wds connection error (on wizard) or "waiting for airstation" in connection status (in web-interface). There is no dd-wrt firmware as far as I know for this model.

I am really frustrated with this purchase. Before buying I did a quick check on the model on the internet, and it clearly said it is compatible with non-buffalo devices. I understand my linksys does not support wds, but the line below from the website says "optional repeater" while misled me into thinking that it supports the WDS client mode.

"Supports WDS to increase coverage with optional Repeater This is fully compatible with 802.11n/g/b devices from other vendors?"

http://www.buffalo-asia.com/cgi-bin/products/detail.cgi?country=ar&code=4&id=506?

I am putting this time and effort to write this post to see if I am wrong or have I been misled by false information. The money spent is of no consequence, I just want to give buffalo one last chance to redeem itself before I chuck my first and last buffalo product into the trash can. Thanks.

mpschommer

• Calf
Re: WCR-HP-GN in client mode
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 07:21:29 PM »

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to use the buffalo router as a second router - inside of the first, so you have essentially two separate networks?  If so, try using  the router as it comes out of the box - might have to reset factory settings.  Hook up an ethernet cable from your linksys router to the wan port of your buffalo router, change the IP/subnet of your buffalo router in the Setup -> Basic Setup screen and point the gateway and dns server to your linksys router.

ajohri

• Calf
Re: WCR-HP-GN in client mode
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »

Thanks, but thats the problem. I cant connect an ethernet cable between the two routers (different rooms), I want to share internet wirelessly. Also, I dont want to use a dedicated computer to share the internet connection (via windows internet sharing etc).