Author Topic: Extremely pleased with DD-WRT firmware update on WZR-HP-G300NH  (Read 1797 times)

airjrdn

• Calf
Extremely pleased with DD-WRT firmware update on WZR-HP-G300NH
« on: October 14, 2010, 09:05:51 AM »

My router requirements probably match or exceed the needs of most people.  I need a few static IP assignments based on MAC addresses, decent wireless range, ample transfer speeds for transferring files and streaming HD content, and basic port forwarding - both single ports & ranges.  Unlike some, I don't need to attach a drive to my router, or require many of the advanced features the router is supposed to support.

With the 1.74 firmware, I was having to reboot the router daily, and at times, more than once per day.  Multiple devices would either fail to connect or connect intermittently from probably 30 feet from the router, and no walls in-between.  The devices ranged from laptops from multiple vendors, mostly running Windows, to iPhones, iPads, and iPod Touches.

I was waiting for a 2nd or 3rd version, but finally gave in and installed DD-WRT v24SP2-EU-US (08/19/10) std close to a week ago and couldn't be happier.  I've adjusted nothing, simply setup some static IPs based on MAC addresses, and added some port forwarding entries.  The range has improved slightly, I've not had to restart it yet, it doesn't restart with every change I apply, every wireless device connects every time, and the GUI is by FAR much easier to navigate and use.

So far, I'm MUCH happier with this router now than I was before.  Thanks for holding up your end of the bargain so far and getting a version of DD-WRT setup to work on it.  Hopefully this will persuade others with wireless connectivity problems to give it a go.  I'm sure there are people out there having issues with this version, but as of right now, I'm not one of them.  I can double check if anyone is interested, but I believe the hardware revision I'm running is the A0 A3 version.

mookie

• Calf
Re: Extremely pleased with DD-WRT firmware update on WZR-HP-G300NH
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 06:34:57 PM »

Re 1.74, I had the same problem with clients failing to connect on 1.74 after a couple of days, but tech support suggested that I turn the router mode to "ON" instead of "AUTO" and this fixed the  problem.

I think the 1.74 firmware is also very good.

Omnielectrical

• Calf
Re: Extremely pleased with DD-WRT firmware update on WZR-HP-G300NH
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 08:13:14 PM »

I am relatively new to the technical side of routers. I reviewed a lot of technical forums looking at what people said about the different products. I find that, regardless of what product you look at, there seems to be a push to use the DD-WRT version of the firmware instead of the one shipped by the manufacturer.

I bought the WZR-HP-G300NH because the technical data sheet said that it was "powered by DD-WRT", but in this forum I see a lot of references to switching from 1.74 (the native firmware) to DD-WRT professional. 

Three questions -

1. Is 1.74 a DDWRT firmware release? If it is not why does the technical data sheet say that the product is "powered by DD-WRT"?

2. What performance improvements can you get by using the DD-WRT professional firmware update?

3. In general, why do most users of routers automatically look for the DD-WRT firmware for their model?