Author Topic: TS-IX4.0TL/R5 lost static IP address and RAID required rebuilding  (Read 1163 times)

gray2hairs

• Calf

Our TS-IX4.0TL/R5 (BIOS 1.50) lost its static IP address when the network cable was disconnected. I was told that if these units loose power that will happen.   This unit was on a UPS and did not loose power.  My concern is that this might be a behavior that will put my system at risk. To resolve the IP address issue we created a DHCP reservation so that if the unit looses its configuration for the network it will be provided by the DHCP server.  This is asuming the unit does not properly retain static IP address configurations after a power outage or network disconnect.  This is the second issue with this unit.  The first was the RAID 5 array had a drive that somehow needed to have the RAID rebuilt.  Rebuilding the Array solved that problem.  

This iSCSI unit also has an interesting behavior.  If iSCSI is ON then some of the settings cannot be modified.  One is the network settings, another is Access Control.  I understand the reason and would like to have the requirement of shutting off iSCSI be in bold print not just on the initial configuration but under change management or something.

Is the RAID issue common?  If there is a power outage do the units loose their IP configuration?  Is anyone else using these for VMware?  

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: TS-IX4.0TL/R5 lost static IP address and RAID required rebuilding
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 11:24:16 AM »

RAID errors do happen but a simple rebuild will fix the issue. And no, it is not normal for units to lose a static ip address after a power loss. You might want to look into updating the firmware. 

gray2hairs

• Calf
Re: TS-IX4.0TL/R5 lost static IP address and RAID required rebuilding
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 03:25:27 PM »

I have the latest firmware.  A tech at Buffalotech told me that they always lose their static IP when a power failure occurs.   This is my first non-HP RAID system so forgive me if I am curious as to how and why a RAID array would loose a drive and require a rebuild.  I have worked on 100's of arrays and I never saw an array "loose a drive".  The only time I ever had to rebuild an array prior to this was when a drive failed.

The rebuild worked but the system was unprotected for the several hours required.  Yes I do backups but when you are talking about terabytes of data I would sincerely hope to never have to restore from backup even if it is another array.