Author Topic: Cannot Access Share Folder/Files - LinkStation HS-DH500GL  (Read 3717 times)

ericmn

• Calf
Cannot Access Share Folder/Files - LinkStation HS-DH500GL
« on: October 12, 2010, 09:42:36 PM »

After a year or two of no problems, I can no ,longer see or access the share folder on my HS-DH500GL LinkStation. I don't know the cause, but a few days ago I simply could not get to my files. I've searched the forums and found a few similar posts, but since I am not technical I could not assess if they fit my issue or not...so I am posting with hopes of assistance.

Using the Nas-Navigator, it appears I have Firmware 2.10. When using Nas-Navigator I can see my Linkstation is 12% full (accurate, I don't have much out there). But I cannot see any Share folders or files.  I can use the "I'm Here" button and the LinkStation responds.  And there are no error lights on the LinkStation, it looks good.

I use Windows XP. The LinkStation is plugged into my Buffalo Air-Station Wireless-G router. I have an older Dell desktop also plugged into the router. And I have a wireless Gateway Laptop that accesses the Linkstation. There are other devices using the router and I can list if needed.

When I click on "My Network Places" I do no longer see a Linkstation Share out there, only the "info on Linkstation".

When I right-click Start and open windows explorer I do see "share on 'linkstation (hs-dhgl624)'(L)". But when I click on that, I get the following error code:  "An error occurred while reconnecting L: to \\HS-DHGL624\share.  Microsoft Windows Network: The network name cannot be found.  This connection has not been restored."

I opened Internet Explorer and typed in the IP address associated with the LinkStation. It brought up the browser window however it would not accept my user id (admin) and password (password). I never changed the ID and password, and I even pressed the reset button on the back of the LinkStation to make sure it is not an id/password issue.

Again, I am not technical...that's why I purchased the Buffalo Linkstation...seemed easiest to hook up. As far as I can tell my LinkStation is there, it has my files on it, but my network cannot see the share folder/files.

Before I spend a lot of money on someone coming to my house to try to fix, I wanted to post this in hopes someone has good advice on what to try or even better has the solution. Thanks!

JoshC

• Big Bull
Re: Cannot Access Share Folder/Files - LinkStation HS-DH500GL
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 06:05:19 AM »

What happens when you open up the "run" box and type in \\ipaddressofyournas?

ericmn

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 09:08:02 AM »

When I try that I get an error message that says "the network path was not found".

I'm a bit out of my league as I don't really know how home networks are set up. I appreciate you reading the question and trying to help.

Eric

Jotin

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 10:50:04 AM »

Try holding the reset button on the unit for 10 seconds waiting a minute then trying access the files again. If that does not work then you may want to try and follow FAQ 2 of 5 to try and fix this issue.