Author Topic: Terastation will not come out of Emergency Mode  (Read 2989 times)

KeithB

• Calf
Terastation will not come out of Emergency Mode
« on: October 10, 2010, 09:02:16 PM »

OK guys,  what am I missing here.  I have looked through the forum thoroughly, and have followed all of the directions, but I can not get my Terastation running.  Here is the story.

-Went on vacation and shut my Terastation (HS-DH2.0TGL/R5) off.

-Came home and started it up, gave me a E04 error.  Started it again, and it goes into Emergency Mode/ No Array Info.

-Go through the forums and try to install new firmware.

-NAVI sees the NAS (in an EM Mode), and I can start to download the firmware from the Updater.  I can see the firmware is being installed on the front of my device, but after the final stages of install (the last system boot on the NAS), it pops an E04 error again.  Updater times out.  I reboot the NAS, and it comes back in EM mode.

-I try to -one by one-  remove drives, and between each removal reset the NAS (twice, once after the drive is removed, and once after it is returned) with no change in EM mode.  It does show the removed drive as bad but I never get the NAS to show up as degraded.

-Then I try the Force Firmware trick (which is not really needed since I can use the Updater just fine) with the same results.

-Finally, I hook up the NAS directly to my desktop and try the TFTP boot recovery.  I can see the NAS no problem(my IP now set to 192.168.11.1 and the NAS IP is 192.168.11.150) and I can use the Updater no problem.  However, when I execute the TFTP boot recovery exe, I do not see the NAS make a request for any missing boot info.

I need some guidance.  What am I missing here.

Thanks

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
Re: Terastation will not come out of Emergency Mode
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 06:33:37 AM »

TFTP won't help you in this case as its already in EM mode.  It actually sounds like multiple HDD failure (which is pretty rare).  I would contact support for a replacement; if the unit is out of warranty then I would replace all four drives and attempt to TFTP the firmware back on.  Most likely any data on the unit will be lost and/or need professional data recovery service.

KeithB

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 02:00:52 AM »

Thanks for the info Piranha.  Not what I wanted to hear.  I figured as much.  I will try support first.  Any recommendations on a

recovery service company.

JoshC

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 11:43:46 PM »

We recommend Drive Savers.  Follow the link below to look at there website.

http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/