Author Topic: LinkStation Quad Performance get slower and slower  (Read 1444 times)

tlh523

• Calf
LinkStation Quad Performance get slower and slower
« on: March 01, 2011, 02:15:32 PM »

Does anyone know of any housekeeping procedures I can do with my Linkstation Quad to increase performance?  I use it primaryly to stream movies content to my Windows 7 Media Center.  The performance is very erractic and usually breaks up to a point it is unusable.  It used to perform fine, but lately it is getting worse and worse.  Also does anyone know what the "RAID maintenance" email messages I receive are related to?

My configuration is a LinkStation Quad wtih 4 TB of disk configured using RAID 5.  It is connected directly into my 1Gb router as is my connection to my Win7 Media Center.  I have confirmed the connection of the NAS and Media Center PC is set at 1000Mbs.  I cannot configure Jumbo Frames as my router does not support this.  Any tuning suggestions would be welcomed, as this is starting to drive my nuts:)

I am thinking about a Quad Pro, but I might just as well build a new Media Center and keep the storage local as the cost is very simular

Raptor2213

• Calf
Re: LinkStation Quad Performance get slower and slower
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 10:19:34 PM »

I too was getting slow performance, then I did 4 things.

• Enabled Jumbo Frames on my switch - if you don't have one that supports, it, get one, they're cheap and can work with your router just fine.
  • Enabled Jumbo Frames on my network cards and rebooted
  • Enabled Jumbo Frames on my NAS
  • Used TeraCopy with "Use system write cache" checked in the options.

Those 4 things (especialy the last one), upped my performance from a max of 9MB/s to a minimum of 41 MB/s.

DisclaimerTeraCopy once lost some of my files on a copy or move, turn on the test feature to avoid this (hopefully).

tlh523

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 12:48:53 PM »

I have jumbo frames a whirl but my router wasn't compatable and caused issues.  Maybe I need to look at a subnetwork.    I wasn't aware of TeraCopy.  Does this condition the assets when they are copied to the LInkStation Quad....I will take a look at it....

tlh523

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 07:49:52 PM »

How does TeraCopy effect media streaming between the NASD and Media center...it looks like it might aid in bulk data copy, but that;s about it...