Author Topic: Alexa can wake up my LS520D but cannot make it sleep  (Read 1521 times)

Slots

• Calf
Alexa can wake up my LS520D but cannot make it sleep
« on: March 01, 2023, 11:06:59 AM »
My NAS install of many years uses a static IP address allowing it to be used by a browser to access the logon GUI. The Alexa Skill knows the MAC address and sends Magic Packets over my local network to successfully wake it from sleep. So why is it that the same process in reverse cannot make the NAS fall asleep.

What would work for me is if GUI Power Management featured scheduling which put the NAS to sleep at a given time. If the problem is one of security then allowing GUI logon and password as well as the MAC address might be acceptable. However, the question remains of why at the moment Magic Packets cannot make the NAS fall asleep especially as the local network is private with IP addresses taking the form of 192.168.xxx.xxx

Slots

• Calf
Re: Alexa can wake up my LS520D but cannot make it sleep
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2023, 03:34:49 AM »
I got to thinking, why hasn't Buffalo the NAS business created its own Alexa Skill especially if some know-how must remain propriety. So come on Engineers, put forward a convincing business case to make this happen especially if the Skill must be purchased.