Author Topic: Networking and Other for Live Terastation Pcast problem  (Read 3481 times)

wbeadle1

• Calf
Networking and Other for Live Terastation Pcast problem
« on: April 01, 2009, 02:11:01 PM »

Model: HS-DHTGL/R5 2.14
Firmware: 2.14
Raid: 1
IP: 128.61.102.253

I  just set up Live Terastation at my fraternity house on campus.  The school allows us to have FTP servers so I have registered the MAC address of the server and after a long time talking with the tech guys at my university I can now access the server when in the house via ftp client like webdrive and also acccess the same way out of house can. 

When not in the house, the only way to access is via ftp://username@address or using the buffalonas.com site.  This only allows downloading files and not uploading is there anyway to be able to upload out of house.  

Is therer a maximum number of connections the Live Station can have? 

For the Pcast problem:
house router: HP Procurve 5406 zl. 
The house router is connected to the university's  network. 
The university network allows one mac address per student and is automatic DHCP.
The Live Terastation is connected to the house router via its mac address.

Many people register their router's (simple linksys wireless ones) mac address as their and connect their computer and PS3/Xox360's to it. When this happens the IP address of the computers and PS3/Xbox become the typical 192.xx.xxx.xxx. 

I am unable to identify the server when on PS3/Xboxs connected via personal router to house router.

Question I have here is that everyones ip address is assigned as 128.61.102.1xx and the Live station is 128.61.102.253, because the difference in the third from last digits can Pcast still work?
What ports need to be open to allow Pcast?
When people use their own router connected to the bigger router, is there a way so the server can be seen by this way or must the digital media player be connected to the same router as the level terastation.

Last but not least, my university's internet connection is the 2nd fastest in the US.When downloading from the Linkstation Live, the transfer speed is so slow with a max 12MB/s.  I know that having it set up Raid 1 limits it but what else?  How can I make this faster?  Usually downloading via torrents i can get 1 GB/s.  I know this uses multiple connections and multiple users.  Can I connect to the server using multiple connections to increase speed?

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: Networking and Other for Live Terastation Pcast problem
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 06:29:24 PM »

When not in the house, the only way to access is viaftp://username@address or using the buffalonas.com site.  This onlyallows downloading files and not uploading is there anyway to be ableto upload out of house.  I would suggest utilizing FileZilla.

Is therer a maximum number of connections the Live Station can have?  There is a limitation of about 50 connections, please keep in mind that these are not professional servers. They don't have the processors nor the memory resources to support a large number of simultaneous connections.

I am unable to identify the server when on PS3/Xboxs connected via personal router to house router.  This is a networking limitation you'll have to bridge your router or setup port forwarding which are outlined in either the router's user manual or at the site I linked just above. Again, this device isn't a professional server and is limited in it's capabilities.

Question I have here is that everyones ip address is assigned as128.61.102.1xx and the Live station is 128.61.102.253, because thedifference in the third from last digits can Pcast still work?  Yes, they are essentially on the same subnet so they should be able to access the NAS.

What ports need to be open to allow Pcast? Port 1900/UDP and 8000/TCP

Can I connect to the server using multiple connections to increase speed?  You're making the mistake that this is a cheap solution to having a professional server.  This is initially a network storage device not a cheap replacement to a professional server.  These devices are primarily utilized for backing up servers themselves and offering limited access restrictions to keep unauthorized users out.  My apologies for this confusion.

Message Edited by Dustrega on 04-03-2009 06:58 PM