Author Topic: auto power off without valid reason  (Read 1145 times)

bateau

• Calf
auto power off without valid reason
« on: September 23, 2010, 03:02:11 PM »

Linkstation duo LS-WX1.0TL/R1 1.33, set in auto power mode

NasNavigator 2.28

XP SP3, via Wifi

Twice in the past week, the linkstation duo switched off for no apparent reason while a large copy was underway.

Via a sniffer on the workstation itself (so the network dropping packets is not to blame) I found that my workstation was no longer sending WOL packets (but all of the NASNAV parts (nassche, NasNavi and the NAS PM service were all still running). Under an earlier version of NasNav (2.22 I think..), I had to restart the linkstation by hand to get it all working again, but under 2.28 a simple restart of the NAS PM service made the WOL packets coming again and start the linkstation duo. 

I have 2 issues with this:

1) the linkstation should never shut down simply because the WOL packets are no longer coming. Any valid data traffic within a specific time span should keep it on unless I change the power switch by hand. (rant: I lost quite some time hunting down the corrupted files.)

2) there is obviously some stability problem in the NAS PM software. (btw, where does it store the MAC addresses?)

Other issue: when you plug in a USB disk with an unrecognized file system, the linkstation will not boot up completely, and will no longer respond to the power switch. Tested with a 500G WD Elements, having 2 partitions: primary partition FFS (openbsd), secondary partition NTFS. But hey, the book tells us we shouldn't do that anyway, so no real problem to me.