Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH keeps dropping the internet connection  (Read 15690 times)

DaveK

• Calf
WZR-HP-G300NH keeps dropping the internet connection
« on: January 05, 2012, 09:25:08 AM »

Hi everyone,

I have a WZR-HP-G300NH router currently running firmware "DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) std - build 14896". My ISP is Unity Media (in Germany) with a 64mbps cable connection. The router is attached directly to the cable modem, and I have a playstation also attached to the router through an ethernet wire. I have linux and windows machines that connect to the router wirelessly.

The issue I'm having is that the router drops my internet connection multiple times per day. The drops happen as quickly as an hour, or can take several hours between them. They're a nuissance while browsing the internet, but they're a really big problem when doing things like using the playstation network, or connecting to my work vpn (really frustrating when dropping during meetings...).

Can someone please help me figure how to resolve this problem? This wasn't occuring with my previous router. Please let me know what other information might be useful (logs/settings/etc).

Thanks in advance!

David

ScottR

• Calf
Re: WZR-HP-G300NH keeps dropping the internet connection
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 01:52:19 PM »

I have the same problem. I am paying for a service to get my VPN and they are working to find a solution. If they solve it for me I will post the response here to see if it helps.

DaveK

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 02:30:19 PM »

But this isn't a vpn issue, the problem is that the router is dropping the internet connection. It doesn't matter whether I am connected to VPN or not.

Copycat

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 06:02:12 PM »

Try to install latest DD-WRT build (17798)

DaveK

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 10:22:28 PM »

I tried downlading 17798 off the Buffalo website however I was not able to. The download link brings me to an ftp link, and when I try to copy 17798 to my pc, it asks me for a password to their ftp server. The website doesn't appear to offer this password.

Also, 17798 appears to be an alpha version...is it such a good idea to use it?

DaveK

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 11:34:53 AM »

Can someone please support me with this issue? This product is essentially useless to me if it cannot maintain an internet connection!!

uggla

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »

Try wzr-hp-g300nh as both login and password.

BlackFly

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 04:18:25 PM »

DaveK

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 02:53:05 AM »

So I'm not sure why I got a prompt earlier for a password, but I was able to download it now without issue. I will install it and let you know how it goes.

DaveK

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 03:10:05 AM »

So when I tried to upgrade the firmware, I got a very nice "Upgrade Failed" error message. No idea why, but at least it didn't kill the device since I am still using it.

http://i.imgur.com/lTacR.png

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 12:58:44 PM »

you sure you even have the correct router? firmware upgraded for me fine and its been up for the last 49 days no probs.

DaveK

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 02:33:28 PM »

I tried installing this firmware: "DD-WRT (Professional)(Alpha) firmware for the WZR-HP-G300NH (Version 1) - V24-SP2 build 17798"

Here is an image of what the current router firmware thinks my model is (which also matches the label on the device...)

Router version

steevo

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 03:41:35 PM »

Check to see if its just the wireless thats losing the connection.  It seems to be the case for me.   The implication of this would be some type of interference, but i cant find it.   I am going to try a different router tomorow hopefully. 

DaveK

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 12:56:34 AM »
Same occurs if I connect ethernet cable. The router is dropping the internet connection, not the lan. When the internet cuts, I can still access the router. My previous router was working fine, so there is clearly something wrong with this router

hamwbone

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 05:46:41 AM »

I am having this same problem as well.  My lan connection drops and the router doesnt apear to reset on the external lights, but the uptime does show that it has been only up for a few seconds/minutes after my connection comes back.  This seems to have been going on since the new year or so.  I just updated to the alpha now i have NO wireless at all. Says radio is on but nothing finds it.  Good thing i backed up... but now i have to back to random reboots.